free website stats program Tire Repair Kit | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire Repair Kit

I have a 2004 Road Glide with Dunlop tires and I'm getting ready for a long trip. What suggestions do you have for type of repair kit I should carry with me?

Slime? Can of tire inflater? 12v pump? tire patches? plugs?

Thanks,

i carry a credit card and a can of tire repair the auto inflate type and shot inflaters, i will never ride on a repaired or pluged tire JMO many do but i wont
Nooooo! Hobbit is right on. Never ride on repaired tire! A can of flat fix (if possible) and a nice leisurely ride to the nearest bike shop for replacement - period. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.00 on a repaired tire. Ever.

i will never ride on a repaired or pluged tire JMO many do but i wont

Why not a plug ?
If I had a flat and I found a nail in my tire in the middle of no where and I had a plug to fix it, why not use it .

I would not race back at full speed to fix it , but I would think 30 MPH would be a safe speed till I found a dealer to replace that tire.

I dont like plugs either as people have a tendancy to forget them but in an emergancy I dont understand ?

Yes, plug for rear tire, in the tread and not the sidewall. Front, I may, but probably only under extreme circumstances.

Here in CA, you have to talk nice to get a tire shop to repair a car tire.:newsmile011:

I search a bit until I found this. Bah....just had a new rear tire put in, and now it has a nail in it. it's not flat, so I can get it from work to the shop, and I do need a new front tire as well, the only complaint is the rear tire has maybe 300 miles on it.

I would carry a plug kit on a trip just to be used in an emergency and only to get to a shop to have a new tire put on. I'm not comfortable ridding on a plugged tire.

Pops

Remember if you have to use a plug to get to a shop you CANNOT use one on a tube tire. So you guys with spoked wheels beware. Most but not all spoked wheels are tube though. The % age is small for the ones that are not. I guess I'm one of those idiots that have used pugs with no ill effect ever. I know there's always a 1st time but in my 46years of riding and taking chances with plugs I've never had one fail. I did however have a bad experiance with that fix a flat stuff you spray into a flat tire (use just once) and would take a plug any day over that stuff. Hmm lets see. Plugs several over 46 years no bad results. And 1 fix a flat that resulted in uncontrolable wobble causing accident, 1 time = 100% bad results. But than again, yes I agree, it is best to replace a damaged tire.

Not much you can do with tube type other than a patch in desperation but that requires more than you can do on the side of the road or call a tow truck.

Back