free website stats program Tire Removal/Install Questions | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire Removal/Install Questions

cmvsm

I'm looking to change out my tires/wheels/rotors, front and back, probably this weekend. I'm going to have the local indy place the new tires on the new wheels, as they are only charging $25 each. Thought that was a steal instead of messing with it myself.

Question is in regard to removing the old and placing the new on. Are there any good videos that I might be able to watch that involve removing and replacing tires on a Dyna? I looked in the archive and couldn't find one.

I'm placing the new 18 on the rear, vs. the 16 that was already there. Not sure what challenges that might pose if any? I have the V&H Big Radius 2/2 pipes, so they shouldn't get in the way of the removal or install. I'm also placing new rotors on as well. Also, is it common to remove and reinstall front and back without the need to re-align or tension?

Just a couple of questions that came to mind. I can save myself $150-$200 doing this myself, so I'm all for that. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

I'm looking to change out my tires/wheels/rotors, front and back, probably this weekend. I'm going to have the local indy place the new tires on the new wheels, as they are only charging $25 each. Thought that was a steal instead of messing with it myself.

Question is in regard to removing the old and placing the new on. Are there any good videos that I might be able to watch that involve removing and replacing tires on a Dyna? I looked in the archive and couldn't find one.

I'm placing the new 18 on the rear, vs. the 16 that was already there. Not sure what challenges that might pose if any? I have the V&H Big Radius 2/2 pipes, so they shouldn't get in the way of the removal or install. I'm also placing new rotors on as well. Also, is it common to remove and reinstall front and back without the need to re-align or tension?

Just a couple of questions that came to mind. I can save myself $150-$200 doing this myself, so I'm all for that. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Follow torque values and if needed use loctite on the rotor bolts, may need to use an impact driver to loosen the old bolts, you do have a manual RIGHT? I bet you you tube has a video on how to change these let us know how it goes, Capital Jack

Definitely have a manual Jack. I couldn't have done half of this stuff myself without one, which has been great. I'm actually surprised at how intuitive the manual is for those of us who don't turn wrenches during the day. I've went through step by step for removal and installation and it looks pretty simple, but that's usually not how it works.

My 3 drawer toolbox has grown to 8 as well...:newsmile01:

I'd spring for new sprocket and rotor bolts if it was me. I just did a front wheel and I like the idea of new bolts with the lock patch on them. Maybe not needed, but my way.

I'd spring for new sprocket and rotor bolts if it was me. I just did a front wheel and I like the idea of new bolts with the lock patch on them. Maybe not needed, but my way.

Good points. I believe that the new rotors will come with their own hardware. I do replace the hardware everytime that I work on something. I'm the same way, as its usually inexpensive, so why not do it while you are at it. Not sure what the lock patch is?

I did the same, both wheels off at the same time as the dealer reinstall the rotors, sprocket, etc and put new bolts on. About the same price. I was just going to have them put the tires on, but they offered at no extra charge :D

As for alignment, as long as you don't mess with that alignment nob on the back of the rear you should be fine, oh and follow the manual for order of tightening down. I put a mark on that screw just to be sure I did not mess it up.

Easy cheap rear alignment tool. - Harley Davidson Community Check this out, it should be in the self help section IMO

Back