free website stats program Tire recommendations | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire recommendations

dblt74

I have a 007 Road Glide that I need to replace the rear tire on; I got about 12000 miles out of the stock Dunlop and I am pretty happy with that but did not know if anybody had any other recommendations for a tire that may be better. thanks for the help

Many people view tire prefferences differently.After going threw 2 sets of Dunlops,a set of Metzler ME880's and finaly a set of Avons on my softail.I must say Iliked the Avon vennom x's the best.If youre happy with the Dunlops, stick with them.

I had to think about this.

We all pay top dollar for our motorcycle tires and are quite happy at getting 10k-12k miles.

I bought tires for my car at $120 a piece and expect to get 30k-50 out of them.

I dont abuse any of my tires , so why cant I expect the same type of milage out of my motorcycle tires.

I had to think about this.

We all pay top dollar for our motorcycle tires and are quite happy at getting 10k-12k miles.

I bought tires for my car at $120 a piece and expect to get 30k-50 out of them.

I dont abuse any of my tires , so why cant I expect the same type of milage out of my motorcycle tires.

different manuf. specs. --- plys,ratings,pressure,cord strengths,steel belts,side-wall thickness and ,not being a smartty-pants, we have 4 tires under the cage stabilizing it as we roll down the road.

I have 8k on my rear Dunlop and have about 4/32", maybe 5 left... It's a TC. I run 40psi front and rear- the front has 3-4/32" left and I expect to buy the next as a pair when the rear will have about 12k it.

I ride two up with a 100lb woman and all our junk on weekend jaunts, and while I don't ride excessively hard, I sure don't baby it, either. I go about 185 and carry about 20lbs of crap around with me solo this time of year, since my enjoyment of my scoot supercedes my need for an air-conditioned cage...

As for wet handling... I live in Florida, the Dunlops wear long in comparison to a softer-compounded, sportier tire, and I tolerate and compensate where the less than optimum wet-handling characteristics of them come into play.

Remember that significant seasonal temperature fluctuations will have an effect on your air pressure. If you keep up with the tire gauge you will certainly enhance the longevity of your tires.

Happy Motorin'! -F-

I put the Venom X on my RKC and loved the corners more than ever before, I would recommend to do front and back with the same type so you have consistant handleing. as for the expected milage? I traded the bike off and the tires only had a few thousand miles on them, but I had been told by others milage life did drop.

Well I'll have to go with the Metzlers 880's, might get a 1000 less than the dunflops but the handling and ride is so much better it's unbeleivable, sorta, the twistys are much better than the dunlops, now the new dunlops might be better than the old ones but I couldn't say, so for now it's the 880's for me.:D

Lol.... Truth be known, I'd rather have something sticker than the Dunlops, but on a student budget, I'm gonna stick it out. Time'll come when I will once again be able to do what I want, sooo.....

Do they still make the old "R"-compound Dunlops? I remember being able to leave the shop with a fresh one for about $45 with the buddy-discount, but then again, that was like, mid-to-late eighties... Didn't wear worth a hoot, but sure were fun to be young and dumb on!

-F-

Folks I ride a Police bike and we went with nitrogen in the tires we only check them once a month. In one year including 4 months of static storage we lost only 1 lb of tire pressure. We run nitro in all our police cages as well. I have it in the tires on my cage and when I get my baby out in spring 2009 she will have the air let out and the nitrogen put in.

I'm getting ready to replace the rear on my SG, and I did a lot of reading in the forums. I decided on the Avon Venom. It's rated for touring loads and is stickier. It may not get quite as much mileage as the Dunlop, but it will perform better. The common theme I hear about the Dunlops is that they last longer but are harder. Seems like the Metzlers, Michelins, and Avons are popular replacement tires if you're looking for something other than Dunlop.

Back