free website stats program Tire recall?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire recall??

rklew

I saw a post on another thread about a tire recall with the Dunlop 407 tire. I have a 09 RK and got a recall on the gas tank mount, but nothing about front tire. Call anyone tell me what the deal is? Thanks Lew

Lew...it is actually a service bulletin that speaks to the cupping and unusual wear on the d407f. If you see or feel this happening on your front tire first check your pressure then take her in and they should replace with a d408f for no charge to you. I and many others have done so and to be honest I had 11,000 miles on mine and no questions asked.:s

its not really a recall but a service bulletin and not all bikes are affected.

Thanks Hobbit, I guess I should check it out with my local HD dealer.

Lew...it is actually a service bulletin that speaks to the cupping and unusual wear on the d407f. If you see or feel this happening on your front tire first check your pressure then take her in and they should replace with a d408f for no charge to you. I and many others have done so and to be honest I had 11,000 miles on mine and no questions asked.:s

Thanks Redman, I only have about 4000 on the bike and I don't notice anything a the moment, but I will keep an eye on it.
I had new wheels put on about 1000 miles ago, and my HD dealer didn't say anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell your dealer there seams to be excessive vibrations coming from the front end and you think it's the tire, they will replace it, no questions asked.

Tell your dealer there seams to be excessive vibrations coming from the front end and you think it's the tire, they will replace it, no questions asked.
Thanks Chopper, but if they take it for a test ride there is no vibration as of right now. The last time I had the bike out I was on the highway up to 75 mph and all was okay.

Yea, but your concern give's the dealership a reason to warranty, I not saying be dishonest, but if you have the 407 it really should have been a 408, you paid top dollar for a top of the line bike and have a right to "top of the line tires". If you have a problem down the road with that tire, Harley will want to pro rate it then for you, that's not right ether. Do what you feel is right, I respect that.

Thanks Chopper, but if they take it for a test ride there is no vibration as of right now. The last time I had the bike out I was on the highway up to 75 mph and all was okay.

Mine did not start to give me problems till around 4500 miles. They replaced it at 7500 miles. Look and see if it is a D407F, if it is get it replaced as you will eventually need to. If you do it now it will be EZ. There is nothing dishonest about it, the tread on the tire is reversed and they know it. It may already be the right tire. (D408F) Ride safe.:s

Yea, but your concern give's the dealership a reason to warranty, I not saying be dishonest, but if you have the 407 it really should have been a 408, you paid top dollar for a top of the line bike and have a right to "top of the line tires". If you have a problem down the road with that tire, Harley will want to pro rate it then for you, that's not right ether. Do what you feel is right, I respect that.

Mine did not start to give me problems till around 4500 miles. They replaced it at 7500 miles. Look and see if it is a D407F, if it is get it replaced as you will eventually need to. If you do it now it will be EZ. There is nothing dishonest about it, the tread on the tire is reversed and they know it. It may already be the right tire. (D408F) Ride safe.:s

Thanks gang, I just checked my tire and it's a D407F, I'll be talking to my dealer tomorrow about getting it replaced. Thanks for all the info, you guy's are the best. :newsmile106:

I had no issues with my D407F, but I mentioned it to my service guy when I had the tank mounts done and my 5K service and he replced the tire with the D408F no questions asked. Just make sure the tire has the right air pressue when you take it in.

Ride safe and have fun.

Chop nailed it ...the key is excessive vibration in the service bulletins wording...good luck and ask about the fluids they put in so you can start thinking about the change over...do it yourself...good way to spend time with the bike in the winter.

Back