free website stats program Tire Pressure Dilemma | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire Pressure Dilemma

softailhog

I have been putting 36psi in my front tire on my 2002 Heritage since it was new, as stated in the owner's manual that came with the bike from the dealer. The other day I happened to be looking for something else in the service manual and noticed that it states 30psi for ALL softail models in 2002.
The maximum pressure as stated on the sidewall of the tire is 40psi (D402) but I take that to mean with a maximum load, not everyday riding. So how much pressure would you put in? I have been happy with the wear, etc. with 36 in the front, should I change it to match the service manual spec? Nobody at HD can decide.............

I have been putting 36psi in my front tire on my 2002 Heritage since it was new, as stated in the owner's manual that came with the bike from the dealer. The other day I happened to be looking for something else in the service manual and noticed that it states 30psi for ALL softail models in 2002.
The maximum pressure as stated on the sidewall of the tire is 40psi (D402) but I take that to mean with a maximum load, not everyday riding. So how much pressure would you put in? I have been happy with the wear, etc. with 36 in the front, should I change it to match the service manual spec? Nobody at HD can decide.............

36 may be for 2 up riding? If your tire is not wearing in the center and the bike hanles good I think you should be OK, I run my front (DULOP) @ 35 most of the time and have no problems watch for excessive wear:s

If thats what you have been doing for the last ten years, and have not had any issues, then you should be fine. If it aint broke dont fix it.

If you check out their (Dunlop's) website, it lists 36-40 psi both front and rear depending on load.

TQ

If you check out their (Dunlop's) website, it lists 36-40 psi both front and rear depending on load.

TQ

TQ, that's what I have been running for quite awhile for 2-up, I just had trouble with the service manual saying something different.

TQ, that's what I have been running for quite awhile for 2-up, I just had trouble with the service manual saying something different.
Service manuals can be wrong. It has happened. I would go with the best 2 out of 3 mfg. sources.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back