free website stats program Tire Leaks like a screen door | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire Leaks like a screen door

Hoople

Account Removed
Haven't seen this before and was wondering if it was unusual. I just replaced my rear tire with the exact same Metzler M880 that I had before. When I mounted it, I was sure to clean the rim where the tire bead makes contact with the rim. That area had a little bit of oxidation but nothing I would call excessive. I used tire mounting rubber lube when I installed the new tire. The new tire I received had a current date code and the look and smell was indeed fresh. My wheels are non-laced.

Mounted it and thought everything was good to go but I am now loosing air pressure at the rate of 1 PSI per day,,,easily 10 pounds in 2 weeks.
I used special bubble leak detector and found several places along the rim bead where I am now loosing air. One side has about (5) 1/4" areas and the other side has maybe 3 areas.
Like I said, the rim didn't look that bad but I did use a 3M green scrub pad to remove the oxidation. It was smooth when I was finish. Don't know if it is true but I read that these wheels have clear coat on the bead area and if you remove it, you can have leaks.
I have been mounting tires all my life and have never seen a rim go from being air tight to leaking air like a screen door just from cleaning it with green pad.

What went wrong? Should I re-clear coat the bead area? Everything seemed perfect,,, now I have to redo it all.

Try some brake fluid on the bead, it will soften up the rubber and help to seal the beads:s

Any oxidisation on the rim would be under any clear coat that had been applied at the factory so the areas that had oxidised are now free of any clear coat
i would suspect that there are areas of the bead seat that still have some clear coat and some that do not and the transition area from clear coat to bare metal is where i would suspect the leaks are
If it were my problem i would paint the bead seat with a gel paint stripper and remove the remaining clear coat then use a fine cutting compound or metal polish to smooth the whole lot
My Idea is of course the one that takes maximum physical effort :p

Brian

I had this problem with the alloy wheels on my Honda. I just broke the bead loose and applied a small amount of automotive bead sealer. Cured the problem and the tire is not much harder to remove when it is wore out.

Thanks for the replies. The info should get me going again.

Brian, If I fix the problem and learn something from it, the physical effort is always worth it. Sounds like the transition area must be my problem. I already have the gel paint stripper and will carry out that plan.
Just wish it was the front tire & not the back!:)

Tks again

Thanks for the replies. The info should get me going again.

Brian, If I fix the problem and learn something from it, the physical effort is always worth it. Sounds like the transition area must be my problem. I already have the gel paint stripper and will carry out that plan.
Just wish it was the front tire & not the back!:)

Tks again

Have fun when doing it if you are like me it would annoy me till i have overcome the issue

Brian

From my experience, there is something either on the rim or on the tire bead that is preventing the seal. Best bet is to disassemble, inspect, correct, reassemble, ride.

Back