free website stats program Tire installed backwards | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire installed backwards

walt5162

I recently had new tires put my 07 RKC. The dealer installed the front tire backwards (big suprise) I had about 500 miles on the tire before I realized it. I was telling a friend about it the other day. He said that the tire could have some damage to it. Was wondering.. could it have damaged it? If so what kind of damage may it have caused?

Thank you again for all your help!

Walt

Walt

Usually the tires are made so the tread will wick water away when riding and if they were installed backwards may cause some hydroplaning in the wet weather. Taker it in and let the dealer make it right even if they have to replace the tire. Once run in one direction , it's not a good idea to reverse the direction of rotation.

Yes it was on backwards. I noticed it once I got caught in the rain. Handled really bad. I had them install the tire correctly... but I didn't think to ask them to replace it. Now I've got too many miles on it. Lesson learned!

Should I get a new tire?

Thanks again!

Walt

JMHO, I would replace it. The front tire if it blows out could be an exciting ride, not worth it to me to chance it. Tell the dealer that they have to work with you being it was their fault, either cost on the new tire or free mounting would be my target.

That's a really dumb mistake for them, IMO. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't' have been as calm about it as you apparently were, Walt. BTW, did they at least get the valve stem in the right location?

That's a really dumb mistake for them, IMO. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't' have been as calm about it as you apparently were, Walt. BTW, did they at least get the valve stem in the right location?

What Jammr is refering to above, is that there will be a colored dot on the sidewall of the tire that should be aligned with (next to) the valve stem on the rim.

TQ

I recently had new tires put my 07 RKC. The dealer installed the front tire backwards (big suprise) I had about 500 miles on the tire before I realized it. I was telling a friend about it the other day. He said that the tire could have some damage to it. Was wondering.. could it have damaged it? If so what kind of damage may it have caused?

Thank you again for all your help!

Walt

same thing happen to me at harley with my avon tires, got it home and was washing the bike when I noticed the front tire was wrong, had to take it back, they acted like no big deal, then again they put my windshield clips on backwards too and shifter peg fell off, all happen on day one when I bought the bike

I would take it back in even now. Tell them you have just learned of the safety issue and want it replaced. Put this request in writing and copy HD with it. I promise you will get, and you deserve, a new tire. In any case, get it off your ride. It is not worth the risk you are taking with your life. Tires are not a good thing to chance IMO. Their mistake, their responsibility, your life.

I would take it back in even now. Tell them you have just learned of the safety issue and want it replaced. Put this request in writing and copy HD with it. I promise you will get, and you deserve, a new tire. In any case, get it off your ride. It is not worth the risk you are taking with your life. Tires are not a good thing to chance IMO. Their mistake, their responsibility, your life.

As much as I agree with this its not likely to happen.Gliders recomendation of a tire at cost with free mounting is your best bet.That way the dealers out some labor for their mistake.No harm, no foule so to speek.You push free, free, free and yes you may get it.Along with a big DONT EVER COME BACK label.It was a mistake {a stupid one} but they happen.

Back