free website stats program Tire Balance & vibration | Harley Davidson Forums

Tire Balance & vibration

AZDave

How do you know if your tires might be out of balance on your bike? I know what a cage feels like, would my bike be the same? It just seems like at about 65 I have a vibration that is slight but it does affect my reading a freeway sign. It also does not go away as I speed up. Other than that, my bike is great. At 55 there is none.

Did you sling the weights off your wheel?? That would be one indication that the wheels were out of balance. They all need a little help. What you are discribing sounds like it could be a balance issue. At least that would be the first thing to check out.

I have a No-Mar balancer. Works very well. Also, truck shops have a dynamic balancer that spins the wheel and tire with a sensor that is set under the end of the fork, and the movement trips a strobe light. Put a mark on the tire opposite the tire valve, spin the tire, and the strobe will show where the mark is with a meter showing green, yellow, or red. Adjust the weight to show green. Very slick for the front wheel.

Thorns

is your bike an 09 like your avitar?

HAW MANY MILES ON THAT TIRE and is it the original??????????

The tires that HD came out with had a little problem like CUPPING and this would also cause the described ride..

Check your tire and see IF it is a 407 or the better 408.. if a 407 you may qualify for a NEW(408) one..... HARLEY HAS replaced a lot of these tires for FREE and you might be surprised to get a new one also...

BE FIRM (but polite) WHEN TALKING ABOUT THIS WITH A SERVICE REP.

EVEN IF A 408 you can talk to the service manager.... bring some cookies and talk..

It does sound like the BALANCE is OFF enough to cause the problem but CHECK n SEE.... HEY, LET US KNOW THE SCORE ON the out-come FINISH here.....

That gives us food/fuel for the rest of the readers..

signed....BUBBIE

Not 100% sure but the Hertaige has a 402 type front and rear. The 407/408 were on the touring models.

Bubbie...any cupping problems with your rear???

:lolrolling

Not 100% sure but the Hertaige has a 402 type front and rear. The 407/408 were on the touring models.

Bubbie...any cupping problems with your rear???

JERRY,
NOW LOOK WHAT YOU STARTED!!!!! NOW YOU GOT THE big boy AFTER ME.....He'll find any CLEAN WAY to twist the KNIFE.......
next thing he'll be calling me a BIG SISSY..... again

THERE's gotta be RULES FOR governing the management.

JERRY,
I have about 8800 miles on the bike yesterday and haven't noticed ANY UNUSUAL ride YET.... I will check with the gauge and FEEL the tire for wear bumps and let you know.. I do have the 408 on the front from the get-go and my build date is 04 of 09 ..... do you know your build date? It is located on the down tube.... JUST TO COMPARE...
thanks

signed....BUBBIE

BUBBIE...just read what I wrote....this is a tire thread :sd:sd:sd I don't want any points or vaction time....LOL.

The Hertiage has a 402 type tire and the reason I said that is AZDave had it listed in the box. So, I figured that was his scoot.

Yes, I can read a sidewall and I know where to find the date. I am retired but owned a little piece of a MC shop....gives me something to do when I want to turn a wrench....

At 8800 you will know if you have any cupping on the back tire (rear)...laughing...

Back