free website stats program tire age | Harley Davidson Forums

tire age

89 FXRS

A friend of mine was offered a set of tires for his bike with 0 miles on them, the problem IMO is the age of them 9yrs old ( according to the 4 numbers stamped on the side wall) - they look great - they don't show any cracks or deterioration and have been out of the weather, but just the age concerns me - what do you guys think about this?

I would be leery, how were they stored? Ozone still takes its toll JMO

I would have to pass on the these. The rubber on the sidewalls and in between the treads have to be dried out. They may look good but once mounted and put under stress my bet would be that they would fail very quickly. I'm not going to risk my or my passengers life.

I would have to pass on the these. The rubber on the sidewalls and in between the treads have to be dried out. They may look good but once mounted and put under stress my bet would be that they would fail very quickly. I'm not going to risk my or my passengers life.

Well said Don, We had a 4 year shelf life for tires @ Sears, even tho they were in climate controlled inside, after that time frame we shipped them back to the manufacturer

I would not use them. Seen too many tires fail from age. Cords fail and there goes your ride. Not me brother.

Thanks for all the input - and I finally got him to agree with me as well as you guys - certain things should NEVER be compromised especially safety. I told him when he's sitting on the side of the road with a flat because the tire failed he'd gladly would of paid for a new tire.

When buying a new tire what's the oldest date of manufacture that should be allowable?

Thanks for all the input - and I finally got him to agree with me as well as you guys - certain things should NEVER be compromised especially safety. I told him when he's sitting on the side of the road with a flat because the tire failed he'd gladly would of paid for a new tire.

When buying a new tire what's the oldest date of manufacture that should be allowable?

That depends on storage factors IMO, I would go with as current a date code as possible, you may ask what the code is before taking delivery

While tempting I'm sure, I agree with the masses on this issue. Rubber compounds do break down after a period of 4 or 5 years, and once they begin to weaken, the belts/cords lose stability. Not worth the risk IMO. "After all, you have a lot riding on you're tires". (Never thought I would get to use a commercial tire slogan) LOL! :taunt

I read somewhere that it is 6 year shelf life for MC. I agree with Jack that I would go with most recently date...

Back