free website stats program Timing question | Harley Davidson Forums

Timing question

SpringerSteve98

Hey guys. I have a problem. Pretty sure my timing is all messed up. Standard 80ci EVO

Heres my question. Is there a way to set the timing without a light? I don't have one... And the only buddy i know who does have one lives about 45mins away. So i'm looking to get it right enough to ride it over there.

Pretty sure my timing has been a bit retarded lately. (no pun intended) And i'm wondering if there is any kind of trick i can use to set it pretty close until i can get a timing light on it. I've heard everything from "put a straw in the front cylinder and rotate the rear tire until its at the highest point" to "advance it until you hear a pinging, then retard it 1/16th"

Anyway, i wanted to check with the forum guru's and see what you guys think.

Hey guys. I have a problem. Pretty sure my timing is all messed up. Standard 80ci EVO

Heres my question. Is there a way to set the timing without a light? I don't have one... And the only buddy i know who does have one lives about 45mins away. So i'm looking to get it right enough to ride it over there.

Pretty sure my timing has been a bit retarded lately. (no pun intended) And i'm wondering if there is any kind of trick i can use to set it pretty close until i can get a timing light on it. I've heard everything from "put a straw in the front cylinder and rotate the rear tire until its at the highest point" to "advance it until you hear a pinging, then retard it 1/16th"

Anyway, i wanted to check with the forum guru's and see what you guys think.

I recomend you to PM "Chopper"
He has a vast knowledge.

on my 93 id get front piston tdc compression stroke blows out paper i put in spark plug hole. straw in hole then. raise rear put in higher gear, have timing hole open look for single dot... double dot is advance. rotate tire watch straw & have push rod covers off front cyc. line or dot will appear in hole depending on year. hope this helps..

Hmm, this might be a little in depth for me... Not sure i have the tools to have a good go at this. I'm thinking a better question might be... What bad might happen if i run it for 45 mins on the highway with the timing being off?

I've heard stories about bikes running so hot they actually turn the pipes glowing red running out of time. I don't want to do more harm than good... Its running now.... Think i should trailer it?

get it started turn your timing plate a little each way if to advanced it will start slow or hard like trying to get over mountain top.just retard a little. looking at face of plate i usually had 1/4 in showing on left much more hole showing on right ei; adj slot. i think a little ret better than advance to far.. if to far IT will ping w/ u get on throttle take screwdriver w/ u ...when timing u will get an oily face,,,,good luck/////

get a timing light,they make cheap ones.heres a easy way to time it,take your plugs & timing plug out,rotate motor until you get the dot in the window,now remove your inspection plate & drain oil from your primary,get some white out and mark your alt. rotor & your inner primary,replace timing plug & spark plugs & time it thru the inspection hole in primary,WAY easier than timing thru timing hole(dont forget to refill primary)

I got it to my buddys house today, the way it was when i got it there was less than 1/16th off... It wasn't as bad as i'd thought. 42mpg on the way home so it isn't off by much..... Still have a intermittent "cough" when i roll on at times though... Might richen it up a bit and see how it acts. However, i already have a 45/190 in it... I was running a 42, but then found out why. The needle seat in my carb was upside down and causing a rich idle circuit condition. (EDIT) thing was impossible to jet right when that was going on. Soon i'll get a mikuni or an S&S and be done with it i think.

Language is not permitted on this forum.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
The C/Vs a good carb dont give up on it so quick. if stock engine or a little better as mine was 175 main jet & a sportster needle from 98 sporty c/v carb i was gettind 50 mpg .

Back