free website stats program Timing / Points Cover Replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

Timing / Points Cover Replacement

My old points cover was gross. Previous owner obviouslly liked it but not me. So, I ordered a cool new one from J&P. Joker Machine billet chrome. Very nice. When it came in, I removed the old one. The two bottom screws were coroded so bad they snapped off. Hey, ez-out right? Broke three drill bits before getting a pilot hole started with drill bit number 4. Then snapped off the ez-out. So, the new points cover will be a whole new cam cover. $25 job turned into $150.

So, can someone tell me why the new bikes have a points cover anyway? Oh I know, so you can spend money that why!

Oh well - worst day wrenchin on a Hog is better than best day fishing!!!!!

My old points cover was gross. Previous owner obviouslly liked it but not me. So, I ordered a cool new one from J&P. Joker Machine billet chrome. Very nice. When it came in, I removed the old one. The two bottom screws were coroded so bad they snapped off. Hey, ez-out right? Broke three drill bits before getting a pilot hole started with drill bit number 4. Then snapped off the ez-out. So, the new points cover will be a whole new cam cover. $25 job turned into $150.

So, can someone tell me why the new bikes have a points cover anyway? Oh I know, so you can spend money that why!

Oh well - worst day wrenchin on a Hog is better than best day fishing!!!!!

Sorry to hear that, another reason I use antisieze on bolts like this, good luck:s

No biggy.Just trim. And wife cheered me up by giving me go-ahead to haul my tins to the speed shop for new paint. Going with candy rootbeer

Sorry to hear the troubles with corrosion and fasteners. As you found out aluminum against stainless does not work out very well, and why anti-seize compound is very important...or stainless inserts to stainless fasteners as is commonly used in aircraft. Another good excuse to replace fasteners on parts you want to come loose...like the primary and derby covers once with good chrome or even better hardened stainless with allen or torx type socket heat fasteners. :s

Last edited:
Right! I do remember my old bi-metal corrosion rules from small engines class and what-not. You would think that HD would live by them... Guess not

Although my bikes are a wee bit older than yours i thought that the points covers all came riveted from the factory and that if they were changed for a custom one then usually self tapping screws were used to hold it in place
so perhaps blame lies with previous owner for not having copper grease/antisieze on hand to make future removal possible

Brian

Back