free website stats program Timing marks on 96' EVO | Harley Davidson Forums

Timing marks on 96' EVO

Looking for a little input here please. Am installing a cam in my my 96' and have run into an odd situation. According to my manual the timing marks for the cam, idler gear, and breather should all line up to thier marks. When these marks are all aligined and you look in the timing hole, the top dead center mark is not in view. If i roll the crank to show the line for top dead center in the view hole the piston is at top but then the timing marks are not aligned. The mark for the idler gear is about a quarter turn off. Is this right or am i missing something here? My manual shows the timing marks aligned and it also shows the timing mark for top dead center but does not give reference to both. Any input would be appreiciated.

Looking for a little input here please. Am installing a cam in my my 96' and have run into an odd situation. According to my manual the timing marks for the cam, idler gear, and breather should all line up to thier marks. When these marks are all aligined and you look in the timing hole, the top dead center mark is not in view. If i roll the crank to show the line for top dead center in the view hole the piston is at top but then the timing marks are not aligned. The mark for the idler gear is about a quarter turn off. Is this right or am i missing something here? My manual shows the timing marks aligned and it also shows the timing mark for top dead center but does not give reference to both. Any input would be appreiciated.

Take into account the width of the hole for the timing marks, the width of the hole adds up to about 10 degrees of timing total

As stated in first post, i have all the timing marks aligned. Just want to know if front piston should be at top dead center and the mark on the flywheel should be in view in the timing hole when all three marks are aligned for the cam, idler gear, and breather. Because when i have the the three marks aligned i am not at the top with front piston.
Even without the cam in place the timing mark on the idler gear is at top where it would align with the cam i'm still not at top on front cylinder. I have turn the ilder gear another quater turn to get to top on front cylinder. So do i need to be at top dead center when the the timing marks align or is there a laspe in the front cylinder before it gets to top. Thanks for your help.

Don't worry about the position of the pistons (and hence the timing mark on the flywheel) when you are installing the cam. Aligning ALL three marks establishes the timing of the engine. Remember, your pinion gear is keyed, so it can only go on the right way. HD does this off of TDC so that the crank can be turned slightly without having to fight the compression stroke if someone is doing this with the plugs in (why would anyone do that, you ask!!).

Follow the book. It is right.

TQ

Back