free website stats program Time to turn wrench low on dough | Harley Davidson Forums

Time to turn wrench low on dough

:D What kind of torque wrench do i need to do general maintenance such as oil changes,cash flow way down i guess its time to do all my own maintenace.Bad as it is cars go before the harley!!

:D What kind of torque wrench do i need to do general maintenance such as oil changes,cash flow way down i guess its time to do all my own maintenace.Bad as it is cars go before the harley!!

A 3/8" Drive TQ wrench will do most chores...they may be had at Sears and other tool outlets. 1/2" Drive TQ wrench is more for automotive applications...! Lightly used ones may be found if you shop cautiously...

As for cars going before Harley as far as longevity...that depends quite a bit on the use and maintenance schedule of each. Also, the car may have a shorter life span because it is used more often, gains more mileage and generally used for in more adverse conditions (rain, sleet & snow), in town and close to home where traffic congestion and accidents are more probable...than the more casual, ocasional use Harley.

I purchased a few torque wrenches from Harbor Freight. When I bought the first one, a 3/8" drive, the manufacturer guaranteed + or - 2% accuracy. I tested that against my buddies Snap-On wrench and mine was well within the limits.

How much you spend on the wrench depends on not so much what you are going to do with it, but how often. Quite obviously, my friends Snap-On will last decades longer than my Pittsburg Tool from Harbor freight. I had only planned on using mine infrequently, so I;''m OK with the lack of longevity.

Guess ill get a 3/8ths drive,i dont plan on anything major just general maintanence,i ment to say i would sell the cars before the harley just hope it dont get to that.:)

Guess ill get a 3/8ths drive,i dont plan on anything major just general maintanence,i ment to say i would sell the cars before the harley just hope it dont get to that.:)

I have 3:

1/4" drive which measures in in-lbs and metric (need this for all the little fasteners (covers)
3/8" drive which measurs in ft-lbs and metric (almost everything else)
1/2" drive for the big stuff (compensator nut, rear axle nut, etc.)

These are worth having. In my opinion, the 1/4" is the most used since the bigger stuff you can usually use the grunt factor on. With the 1/4-20 fasteners and the #27 Torx stuff, I am much more concerned about what the book says. So if I had to prioritize it would be this:

1st: 1/4" drive
2nd: 1/2" drive
3rd: 3/8" drive

TQ

I have the Snap-on set I bought in 1981 1/4'',3/8'' and 1''2 about once a year I have them checked for calibration and they have always been dead on.

Back