free website stats program Time to put new seals in my forks | Harley Davidson Forums

Time to put new seals in my forks

wannaride

Along with new bushings since it will be a part. I am going to strip the clear coat off also & polish the lowers. Hopefully I get it done for the weekend. Will also adjust the bearings & also see if I can find the problem with my radio. I am also going to repack the front bearings. I am getting to old for doing this after putting in 10 hrs @ work, hope I get it done. Any tips or tricks? I have done some search's & watched a bunch of vids, but not sure that they are for the FLHT's or not. But will find out. Hope it gets rid of the Death Wobble.

Toby

Keep us posted, you are in for a days work. You might be happy to go back to your day job.
Ken

Been on vacation all week and I have a second week to go. I am going to have to go back to work just to get a break.

dont know bout the rest of ur work but i sanded clear off my lowers and sanded n polished them its work but so worth it. Looks close to chrome and alot cheaper

Along with new bushings since it will be a part. I am going to strip the clear coat off also & polish the lowers. Hopefully I get it done for the weekend. Will also adjust the bearings & also see if I can find the problem with my radio. I am also going to repack the front bearings. I am getting to old for doing this after putting in 10 hrs @ work, hope I get it done. Any tips or tricks? I have done some search's & watched a bunch of vids, but not sure that they are for the FLHT's or not. But will find out. Hope it gets rid of the Death Wobble.

Toby

Toby,

Are you sure your front wheel bearings are not sealed bearings? Unless you were talking about the neck bearings. Easier to regrease those by pumping the neck full of a thick, heat and water resistant, high pressure grease until it starts to extrude from the top and bottom bearings. This is done through the Zerk fitting toward the front of the neck. Check this:

Neck Bearing Grease - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

To remove the clear coat use a gel paint stripper juat paint it on, the clear will bubble up use a plastic scraper and it will come right off

Brian

Thanks for all the input. I didn't get started on them tonight as planned & tomorrow I have to work late. So with any luck I will get started on Wednesday evening. I just got done taking the clear coat off of some wheels & polishing them, so I hope these will go as well as they did. TQ I have a 99 with the tappered bearings. I do have a manual & feel that I am ready. Will keep this updated & will try to take some pics. Hoople, the next project is going to be the rear swing arm updated bushings.

Toby

Well, hear is an update, worked late all week long & did not get a chance to tear it down & decided to tear into it after this weekend. I might even wait till next Sat. just getting to old to be putting in 60 hr work weeks & then go home & work. I have not noticed any odd effects of handling so I should be ok for a ride this weekend. Have a great weekend.

Toby

Back