free website stats program Time for new rubber at 17,000 mi. | Harley Davidson Forums

Time for new rubber at 17,000 mi.

Well been reading forums on this site and I guess I am over due on tires, so I bought some today [Dunlop's]. I have a 07 sportster and I don't often have a passenger so I think that helps on my tires. Should I change both now or wait next year to change the front?

I change mine as required. I stick with the same brand and model tire, so I don't see any need to do both at the same time. Lessens my sticker shock doing 1 at a time.

Well been reading forums on this site and I guess I am over due on tires, so I bought some today [Dunlop's]. I have a 07 sportster and I don't often have a passenger so I think that helps on my tires. Should I change both now or wait next year to change the front?

Typically, folks get about two backs to each front. But if you have 17K on both front and back, you need to make that decision based on how much tread is left on the front, and the general condition of the tire (sidewall condition, water groove condition, shape of the wear pattern across the tread, etc.) Any cracking on the sidewalls and in the water groove suggests it might be time. A front flat under way is NOT good.

TQ

As TQ says, if you got 17K on BOTH front and rear, consider replacing BOTH...3 or 4 years on the same tires may have hidden defects like "age cracking on the sidewalls and such"...also consider looking at the DATE CODE to be sure it is not a couple years older than you think. Latent defects are just as much a potential problem as well as how they were used. Rubber compounds do deteriorate with UV, heat and ozone exposure, which may not be visible from the outside. Also, the round profile may be squared due to lots of straight up riding, so transition may make bike wander and wallow when pushed...and a front tire flat if spoked wheel can be sudden and dangerous with the inner tube quality hidden from view.

Yes I will replace both front and rear tires, they should be at my doorstep by the end of the week. :rider thanks guys for your input Dennis

The best part of 2 new tires is being able to go around corners better and ride quality.

Don't forget to go easy on those new tires for the first few miles to get the feel of the new rubber :yes

Also it is very important to do the required "break in" any time you buy new rubber. This is simply being conservative for the first 100 miles which allows you to adjust to the difference in handling that new tires give over older tires. You will be able to tell immediately a difference.

There is a mold release agent on new tires that has to worn away. That is the real reason you need to take it easy for the first 100 miles or so. Until it wears away, the tires will be a little slick and will not have the traction you are used to.

Back