free website stats program Time for a new Tourer | Harley Davidson Forums

Time for a new Tourer

DakotaRob

Hey guys! Been a great winter for riding around these parts. I put 400 miles on since my "end of season" oil change in November. :D

I've been thinking about upgrading to a newer model, and decided to list my Electra Glide on craigslist. Figured the warm weather would have guys shopping, and I was right. Had a few calls, and a guy showed up tonight and rode home on my bike.

Any advice on what to look for in a 2009+ touring model? I really like the Road Glide Ultra, but not sure I can get one in my price range. Would like to stay at $20K or less. My local dealer has one new 2011 EGlide Ultra left over that they seem anxious to part with.

I'm already having withdrawal over that empty spot in the garage, and it's only been a few hours!

You are in a tough spot. Just thinking about making a move and then listing your bike to test the water and you had a buyer.
That said you have already experience the best Harley has to offer. I was told one time buying a new car, you need to make the decision that once the newness wears off you are going to be happy till loan is payed off and not be sick of it within the 1st year.
Sooooo if the Road Glide is your thinking I would try to make it happen if possible. But I would not decide on anything till some saddle time on a Road Glide....:s

If it were me I would go with the nonultra Road Glide. The 103 motor has a lot less heat problems than the 110. You can always add the tour box. JMHO

Thanks for the quick replies!

Anyone have any input on how the Road Glide's fixed faring 'feels' compared to the batwing? I guess I need to demo one before making the final decision. I demo'd a 2011 Eglide Ultra last spring and really liked how the new frame felt compared to my 07.

If it were me I would go with the nonultra Road Glide. The 103 motor has a lot less heat problems than the 110. You can always add the tour box. JMHO

HDDon I think you are confusing the Ultra with the CVO model. The Ultra comes with the 103 and the CVO the 110.

As for the fixed fairing I think those who have not ridden one are the one who dislike them for the most part. This bike does not get pushed around by windy conditions nearly as much as other bikes I have ridden.

+1 on the RG the best way for you to see is to rent one for a day. The RG ultra came stock with the 103" in 2011 all the cvo models had a 110"

Thanks for the quick replies!

Anyone have any input on how the Road Glide's fixed faring 'feels' compared to the batwing?

I've rented a Road Glide twice. After about 15 minutes of riding you forget it's mounted differently. Much lighter steering feel in slow speed maneuvering without the weight of the batwing added to the handlebars. Didn't get a chance to experience the difference in windy conditions.

Thanks guys for correcting my error. When I looked (drooled) at the new RG the dealer had a standard RG, without the tour pac and all the chrome, and the ultra. They also had the CVO with the 110. There was quite a difference in price from the standard to the ultra.

Back