free website stats program ticking sound | Harley Davidson Forums

ticking sound

tlg1100

Did search on this and thought I would try a post also,2008 heritage just bought it used from dealer about 1400 miles I have put on it and its seems to have a recent ticking like a lifter or valve adjustment,or even a exhaust tick? might just be me freakin out... only when under slight load,any news or others experience would be cool??:swoon

I suggest you start with the basics: change all the fluids to the following:

• FULL synthetic VTwin 20W50 engine oil
  • FULL synthetic 75W140 GL-5 gear lube (tranny)
  • Fit-for-purpose chaincase/wet clutch fluid in the Primary
  • HD oil filter
See if that helps. If not, I would rule out exhaust leak by soaking studs/nuts with PB several times and then CAREFULLY snugging up the nuts a bit. BE CAREFULL doing this. You do not want to twist off the studs.

If that does not help, then you are probably gonna have to replace the lifters. But get a stethoscope and see if you can definitely identify one or more lifter making noise. If you have to do this, get some adjustable pushrods so you can cut the solids out rather than disturbing the top end.

TQ

Make Sure you are buying Top grade of fuel, Not the lesser octane stuff.. Top Grade..

Burning lower grade of fuel Can cause a noise you'll notice at slow throttle openings and heavy twist of the throttle also.. Use the highest Pump Gas they have.
91 or 92 depending on your location.

signed....BUBBIE

I suggest you start with the basics: change all the fluids to the following:

• FULL synthetic VTwin 20W50 engine oil
  • FULL synthetic 75W140 GL-5 gear lube (tranny)
  • Fit-for-purpose chaincase/wet clutch fluid in the Primary
  • HD oil filter
See if that helps. If not, I would rule out exhaust leak by soaking studs/nuts with PB several times and then CAREFULLY snugging up the nuts a bit. BE CAREFULL doing this. You do not want to twist off the studs.

If that does not help, then you are probably gonna have to replace the lifters. But get a stethoscope and see if you can definitely identify one or more lifter making noise. If you have to do this, get some adjustable pushrods so you can cut the solids out rather than disturbing the top end.

TQ

Hi also if u dont have a stethoscope u can use a long handled screwdriver but stuff it if the noise is lifters change all of them not just one cheers.

thanks for quick supply,It was serviced before I bought it so I was going to wait till I had 2500 miles and they said they did it with conventional oil not syn.Guess I will go ahead and switch to syn oil and do it now. thanks again

thanks for quick supply,It was serviced before I bought it so I was going to wait till I had 2500 miles and they said they did it with conventional oil not syn.Guess I will go ahead and switch to syn oil and do it now. thanks again

Make sure you go for FULL synthetics NOT blends. This will be Group 4 (PAO) lubricants.

Many of us refuse to buy oil from HD because of who supplies that to The Motor Company.

TQ

"See if that helps. If not, I would rule out exhaust leak by soaking studs/nuts with PB several times and then CAREFULLY snugging up the nuts a bit. BE CAREFULL doing this. You do not want to twist off the studs."

TQuentin1,
Could you tell me what "PB" is?

Thank You!

Back