free website stats program Ticking or clicking noise?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Ticking or clicking noise??

dar1271

Ok, so I am fairly new here and have recently bought a 2007 softail standard. I have put about 500 miles on the bike and it has about 13000 miles. I have recently changed all the fluids and have been just trying to enjoy the bike.

Last night I went out to bike night and I went to pick up my girl first. On the way to my girls place that was a ton of traffic and did a fair bit of idling. as I get close to her place I hear this fairly loud ticking or clicking sound coming fron the front end, not sure if it was in the engine or what. Got there, and after about 10-15 minutes we were on the road to meet some friends. The ride to meet up with my friends everything was fine. The bike sat for about an hour and then we went on to bike night. It was about a 30 minute ride through decent traffic and the bike was fine. After bike night, we head back to my gf house and about half way there I am coming to a stop at a light, and again I hear the this fairly loud ticking or clicking noise, my gf noticed it as well. The light turned green as we were approaching so I never stopped, so the ticking noise was there and then just kind of went away?

So, has experienced this? I really hope that I can get some help!!!

Thanks!

Are you Lugging the bike OR are you Knowledgeable on How to ride it.

The HD's run Hot. They are NOT getting cool at a slow running idle and especially HOT Quick, stopped at a light...

Did the Idiot Oil Light come on at the HOT idle at the light?

Does it have an oil cooler?

Full of engine oil oil?

What oil are you using..

Should be a 20/50 and I like (most do) a good brand synthetic oil.

What fuel are you using 91 least?

IT takes AIR to cool these bikes...

Not uncommon to have the tic at HOT Idle IF Not cooling properly or the wrong oil used.

signed....BUBBIE

Sitting on top of an air cooled pushrod motor you are going to hear some noises, I would not worry, I have yet to ride a Harley that didn't have some ticking or tapping noise, if you start hearing knocking sounds then worry.

- I was not lugging the bike, but sitting in traffic, it was definitely hot.
- I am knowledgeable on riding, this is my 6th bike, 2nd harley. First 6 speed and I am surprised at the difference from the 5 speed
- No lights ever came on. It just made the ticking or pinging noises and they disappeared pretty quickly.
- No oil cooler
- 20/50 mobil 1
- using hi test gas

As I stated, when I was heading home after dropping off my gf, I did not have any issues, but it was much cooler at this point and no traffic.

I just wanted to be sure I was not experiencing any problems, but it sounds like typical stuff.

Any Idea what your oil temperature was at the time of the noise?

Over HEAT will do the oil to about 5 pounds at idle...Lifters will not fully pump up when that low...

I am lucky and don't have a light stoping me often ONLY when riding up to Phoenix in TANKS area.......Then I hit every blooming one.....:(

Az. is hot enough this time of the year to NEED every Breath of breeze to keep these stroker bikes Cool.

You might think about a Jagg oil cooler. Don't know where you are located but Only in Maine :newsmile062: or western Wa. state :newsmile098: do you Not need a cooler.

signed....BUBBIE

Tank,

You are absolutely right. But I do have to separate issues. The primary is noisy, but distinctly different from what I have described in this forum. Plan of attack: Take care of the primary first and then see what shakes from there!

Thanks for the post!

======================================================

I had glanced at the oil gauge about five minutes before I heard the tinging and the temp was about 225 f.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back