free website stats program ticking noise | Harley Davidson Forums

ticking noise

chuck60

I have a 08 flhr with 20.000 miles on it I bought it new, I have started to here a ticking noise when I ride it, it's not a clunking sound just a ticking sound, is this normal on these bikes, the motor and pipes are completely stock no mods done on it.

Not un common to hear a slight tick especially if you are running synthetic oil and a wind shield, you will hear more engine noise with a shield and stock exhaust, The expansion rates of the moving parts in these air cooled beasts is quite amazing. Have you checked for an exhaust leak? and for loose heat shields?

Ball up a rag and apply to end of tail pipe and listen or feel if any air is coming from the splits in pipes or where mounted to engine... If you initially plug both tail pipes at the same time and you have no leaks you will notices engine trying to stall.

Try listening to the injectors, some times mine tick like you are describing.
I don't know if it is the gas or what that make it happen.

Sometimes a tick might be heard, if you have a crack in your rear Y-headpipe.

Enjoy,
Rich P

no cracks, I did the rag test as some one a few replies up suggested and the motor wanted to stall right away. I'm going to let the dealer do the 20,000 mile service for $425.00 and check everything over to see if they can come up with an answer.

Have you tried to adjust the auto primary chain tensioner as stated in post #2 ??????

Back