free website stats program Ticking noise in motor | Harley Davidson Forums

Ticking noise in motor

bozgolf

I have an 2010 FLHTK 3500 miles with Vance and Hines Big Shots Screamin Eagle cone intake and Screamin Eagle Race tuner, the dealer I bought the bike from did the mapping and dyno.

My problem is I am hearing a tick from the left side of my motor at approximatly 2500 to 3000 rpm 3rd or fourth gear. I did start hearing the tick before I did the mods. I took the motorcycle to the HD dealer and they test drove it a couple of times and asked if I was using synthetic oil and I was using HD synthetic at the time and they told me was normal to hear the valve train with using synthetic oil. I have switched to Mobil 1 v-twin 20w50 synthetic since the and still here the ticking.

Has anyone heard this before?
Can I take it to another dealer and will the honor my warranty which is still in its first year?

My new Road Glide has quite a bit of valve train noise in the 2000-2600 range.It seems to come and go at will with no change in oil pressure also. I am running Amsoil 20-50 and have considered trying Redline 20w-60 during warm weather. I attribute some of it to the fact that the fairing reflects a lot of this back to the rider. The tranny is considerably noisier than my old softail too. I run Redline "Heavy Shockproof" in it and it still sounds terrible. My '06 softail 5-speed was nice and quiet compared to the 6-speed rattle, whine clunk box!

My ticking is 2200 to 2700. Cheesyrider well said, my thoughts too.

I don't know if WE expect Too Much from these old tractor type motors...

The click and Klunk, tick, Whine and Rattle seem to be Not in All the bikes...

This is what makes it thought to Be able to do away with a NOISE that isn't present in another Identical ride... Usually not so.. I have tried to find a noise in my Newest 09 bike.. Very few Noises were found Like in Other Same Bikes...

That said, I Listen Hard to my bike,every time I go out and wonder "Is that what they are hearing"?????

I've been Blessed THIS TIME on my new 09 bike, Not getting the one with ALL the Noise and Rattle like some have..

Now If I could just figure out this intermittent oil thing...:newsmile011:

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie I have often wondered about the whines, clunks, clicks, etc. that people complain about with their Harleys. My 94FLSTC makes different sounds than my 05FLTRI, not bad sounds, just different. Do I notice when a new sound pops up, yes and I try to determine where it's coming from and what I might do to fix it. I guess I'm saying that I agree with you that either I have 2 exceptional Harleys or I expect to hear some valve, tappit, intake, clutch, primary, etc. when I crank one of my bikes. As long as I change the fluids and pay attention to make sure things are tight and adjusted correctly I'm ready to ride. As for you oil pressure problem I hope you find it before it gets worse or something lets go.

Don't worry water cooling will quiet them Harley's up quite a bit..:D::swoon
The noise is letting you know the heart is beating.. Just like the old Harley's with oil leaks, the bad part is when they quit leaking oil then you were in trouble. They were out of oil..:)

We are all riding these Harleys because we want that 100 year old look and feel, and that comes with moving parts that make noise. Water jackets will hide a lot of that noise. The engines will be better but part of the 'heart and sole' will be gone. In the mean time, if we want quiet smooth rides we need to switch to competition's machines, those ones that try so hard to imitate the real deal.

I have 80k miles on my 02FLHTC and it makes all kinds of noise. But I found out it's piston slap, and I'll be tearing into it in a couple of weeks to replace pistons, cylinders, and valve job. I'm hoping it will run as quiet as when it was new. Other than the noise, it runs strong, and has been a great bike.

I have 80k miles on my 02FLHTC and it makes all kinds of noise. But I found out it's piston slap, and I'll be tearing into it in a couple of weeks to replace pistons, cylinders, and valve job. I'm hoping it will run as quiet as when it was new. Other than the noise, it runs strong, and has been a great bike.

One thing I may suggest and IF not for you, others might read it here and take note..

When you buy a Rebuild package deal out of the catalogs,?? Are you getting piston to cylinder Fit and is each a matched set-up.. Ask and Check before you buy...

I don't think so... The tolerances on the KITs might be off some .005 More than needed on the piston clearances.. Mass production is the problem, wanting all to interchange and not have a tight problem..

I'd suggest to do your Bigger Bore or over sized using your OWN Seasoned cylinders when possible, and have a good Machine Shop torque bore and hone to fit Your Individual piston to cylinder, With the piston in hand to fit each bore...

Even Replacement motors have been bad for early Piston slap and lack of compression early-on for using THE one size fits all for their application..

If you want it to sound Tight and Not rattle right away (slap),, it needs to be torque bored Right an Tight to the specks given for the piston to fit their bore.

signed....BUBBIE

Back