free website stats program Throttle Lock | Harley Davidson Forums

Throttle Lock

Brand New bike and I over thighend the throttle lock, I am a little hesitant to take it apart and see what the problem is, I am a fair auto mechanic, but not much time on a bike and none on a H.D, does anybody know if this is a simple fix or long and drawn out.

Are you talking about the star adjuster under the throttle grip?

If so you split the switch housings, it's no more than a little brake shoe type of thing that gets tightened down with the star wheel.

What's not working? is the switch housing threads stripped? If so you have to change the housing.

Be careful... Don't short any of the switch wiring. Remove the negative terminate from the battery. The turn signal module is HD (Hundred Dollars). Also, you may need to space the front brake lever so the brakelight switch doesn't move... Just in case.

I know you are just opening the housing, be better safe than sorry...

When I turn the star it wont tighten up, I over tightend it like a bonehead, but thanks for your info glider, I will go ahead and take it apart and see what the damage is.

Thank you SleDog,

Last edited by a moderator:
When I turn the star it wont tighten up, I over tightend it like a bonehead, but thanks for your info glider, I will go ahead and take it apart and see what the damage is.

Taking it apart will accomplish nothing, sounds like you stripped the threads in the housing. You have to replace the housing if you want it to work again.

Check the threads on the star wheel portion to see if they are stripped. You may luck out and just have to replace the star wheel which can be done without disassembling anything.

Just got off the phone with the Harley shop where I purchased the bike, he said there is a clip the housing and maybe all I need to do is snap it back on. I will let you know the final outcome.

It's is the trottle friction screw and is used to take some of the fatigue off your wrist when riding a long time. I just got off my bike from riding about 150mi. and had no problem not using it.

How about using some J B Weld (or similar epoxy) in the stripped threads - then re-tap. Should be good to go.

Jim

Back