free website stats program Throttle Hard to Twist | Harley Davidson Forums

Throttle Hard to Twist

dolce

I've searched the forums for the last hour and cant find anything on this subject. I have a 2011 FLHTK with just under 2K on it. The throttle has begun to be difficult to twist, almost notchy. I assume that there is some lubrication required but since there are no cables associated with the ETC I want to make sure that it can be lubricated before I set off trying to lubricate it. Thanks and sorry if I posted in the wrong place.

Try loosening the switch housing and adjusting the grip inward so that when you tighten the housing back that the binding is no longer an issue. As far as I know there is no lubricant to apply in this area.

thanks for the advice Tank..

If Tank's fix doesn't work - time to engage the warranty option. Could be something binding in the TBW unit somewhere...

+1 on what Tank and Chuck60 posted. The first season that I had my '10 this happened to me, all I did was loosen the switch housing and clamp for the brake and moved assembly 1/16" outward. This relieved the binding and its worked great for 2 years since.:s

Check the throttle friction screw (star wheel) under the switch housing. You may have inadvertently tightened it with your thumb while using twist grip.

Check the throttle friction screw (star wheel) under the switch housing. You may have inadvertently tightened it with your thumb while using twist grip.

I am not sure if the TBW bikes come with a throttle friction screw. My 08 TBW RG doesn't have a throttle friction screw and there is no place to put one in the switch housing. But my bike came with the electronic cruise control so I am not sure if the none cruise bikes have the friction screw.

thanks for all the input. There is no friction screw on mine, probably because of the cruise. I'll try the adjustment mentioned above and let ya know how it goes. About to take ride from Raleigh to Northern VA so will make the adjustment before I leave.

Trying not to look like a dummy before I posted that info., I looked up 2011 FLHTK throttle assy. on Ronnies parts finder, and it was shown in the picture.
Well now I know, but will I remember? :bigsmiley25:

Back