free website stats program throttle cable/handgrip slippage | Harley Davidson Forums

throttle cable/handgrip slippage

Carlin

The hand grip and throttle cable on my 03 Road King Classic just started slipping on Saturday. Since I've done very little to the bike, I have very little knowledge on what the setup is inside the handlebar throttle assembly, or at the throttle body assembly the cable actuates at the other end of the throttle cable. Once it started slipping, I was near my shop, so I immediately headed back there and put the bike away, after attempting to visually determine what was causing the slippage. I didn't have any of my allen wrench sockets with me, so I couldn't take off the air cleaner assembly to inspect the throttle body, or the handlebar throttle assembly. Anyone have any recommendations?

can you explain more about what you mean when you say slipping?

Is the whole hand grip assy. turning or is it a problem with the cable itself?

Has the in-line cable adjuster been slacked off to much and there is too much play on the cable?

The hand grip assembly is stationary, but all of a sudden, the cable somehow slipped either on the throttle body end or hand grip end somewhere when I tried to accelerate last weekend. I did notice the little star dial/tensioner or whatever it's called seemed to be loosened up. I did dial it up once I got back to my shop and apparently it's to adjust friction on the cable at the handgrip? It's like one end of the cable slipped out of where it was clamped and I need to re-clamp it where it has slipped. Until I have my allen head sockets with me when I'm there at the shop, I won't know (that is unless someone know's what I'm trying to splain here). I do have a factory 2003 shop manual on disk to refer to, which I am finally looking into. Ahh.... found it under chassis. Have to look at it later when I have time.

You have 2 cables a push pull system, look for a broken cable or pay close attention to the cable set up at the carb or throttle body if this is EFI

OK, I disassembled the throttle hand grip and the recoil cable is broken. I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out how to remove the cable ends from the hand grip assembly. Anyone have any suggestions? I am able to get the other end of the cable removed, once I took off the air cleaner assembly. I would assume the gasket on the backplate of the air cleaner housing is able to purchased by itself. To remove and re-install the cables, it looks as though the front end of the gas tank mount must be unbolted. Will that be enough to remove and install the cables? Or, is there more that must be removed?

OK, I disassembled the throttle hand grip and the recoil cable is broken. I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out how to remove the cable ends from the hand grip assembly. Anyone have any suggestions? I am able to get the other end of the cable removed, once I took off the air cleaner assembly. I would assume the gasket on the backplate of the air cleaner housing is able to purchased by itself. To remove and re-install the cables, it looks as though the front end of the gas tank mount must be unbolted. Will that be enough to remove and install the cables? Or, is there more that must be removed?

If you mean removing the outer cable assemblys from the throttle housing? See the attached link. There are tiny wire circlips (#8 & #9) that hold the outer cable ends (#12 and #13) into the housing. Use something fine to find the end and wedge it off. Careful, if you drop one, they are nearly impossible to find.
Ronnie's Harley-Davidson's 2003 Harley Davidson Street Bike FLHTCI ELECTRA GLIDE CLASSIC® (INJECTION) (FF) Parts List

Back