free website stats program Throttle cable for 42mm Mikuni HSR carbie | Harley Davidson Forums

Throttle cable for 42mm Mikuni HSR carbie

tnt69

Account Removed
Ive just bought a new 42 mm Mikuni HSR carbie for my 1986 FXSTC, after rideing a lot of kms on the original H-D carbie i thought it was time to upgrade.I have a complete custom front end includeing throttle cable to the original carbie already on my bike,so i dont think this is the original throttle cable but,
Can anyone tell me if my original cable, is on the bike, will it fit to my Mikuni carbie.

I installed a HSR 42 on my '92 FXDC, and used the original cables with no mods. needed.
Your last sentence is confusing, but the cable(s) you have been using with the stock carb. should work with the Mikuni.

Yep...CV and Mik use the same cables, Mik spigot is a tiny bit larger than the CV, it's a tight fit...lube the seal with some WD40 or dish soap to make pushing it into the spigot a little easier, put one on my '90 Heritage but can't remember if I used the stock HD seal or a thinner aftermarket one.

I dont know exactly when the change came but at one time only 1 cable was used and on some bikes when fitting the hsr42 you need to change the twist grip to the 2 cable type

Brian

thanks ,yeah i think they the cable on my bike will fit

Thanks for the heads up on possible different spigot sizes

thanks for the twist grip 2 cable setup,i will investigate this as well

Last edited by a moderator:
If you only have on cable to the carb then it is shut off by a strong spring the mikuni doesnt have that strong spring and requires a cable to close the throttle hence the 2 cable system 1 to open and 1 to close

Brian

'86 have throttle /idle cables, a good upgrade to go along with the Mik though would be the '90-up spigot style 3 piece manifold and get rid of the insulating spacer and compliance fittings. You wouldn't need a flange adapter to mount the Mik to the older manifold either.

Back