free website stats program Throttle Adjustment | Harley Davidson Forums

Throttle Adjustment

ImaRider

How do you know when you have the throttle adjusted correctly? I haven't done this before but it seems it should be easy enough. I have the service manual and have watched videos of this. But when I try to do it I can run the adjuster right off the threaded rod without feeling tight. The grip still feels like a bit too much slop. Just looking for some help.

I did try that, my touch sensitivity must be a tad off I just don't seem to find that sweet spot. Guess I'll have to break down and ask the shop to look at it for me. I hate to do that.

I assume you have cables not TBW. Its very simpleto do,loosen both cables all the way,Take off your air cleaner so you can see the throttle butterfly.With throttle turned all the way open adjust the pull cable until the butterfly is open all the way.Tighten te pull cable it is adj properly. Now the push cable is adj for the slack in grip this can be a personal pref I like to be able to turn the grip just a little before it catches..good luck..

Tom, Great insight! When I removed the air cleaner cover I could see I didn't have the butterfly properly adjusted. Once I did do that the idle cable adjusted right up. Everything feels good like it did before. Take care and thanks.

But when I try to do it I can run the adjuster right off the threaded rod without feeling tight.

You didn't say which adjuster (pull or push) did this. I assume it is the push side or else you would not be able to give the bike any throttle. I can't believe there is that much slack in the cable. Almost sounds like the push cable is broken and your riding with only your pull cable. (?)

It was the push side I was running off thread. My lack of feel for the proper way to adjust the cable was the reason for that. I just kept tightening and tightening without getting the sensation the cable had reached a tension spot. It is just my lack of any experience doing this that caused it. It's all good now though.

Back