free website stats program Threw some new codes.. | Harley Davidson Forums

Threw some new codes..

Mavagrand

After a quick rain filled ride to Orlando and back (140 miles round trip), I was home and filling out my log book. Went to the bike to check the miles ridden for the trip, but forgot my key fob. When I turned the bikes ignition on to power up the dash, I pushed the trip reset button...nothing. It only showed the total miles on the bike (29575), would not cycle thru at all. I then realized my turn signals were flashing, indicating the passive alarm had activated.

So....went and got the key fob, tried again. Nothing...as I was going back and forth between pressing the trip reset button and turning the ignition on and off..I noticed the CEL come on. THEN, I had no throttle..the bike would fire up but when I goosed the throttle there was a very minimal increase in idle.

So...thinking I may have confused the system with my constant back and forth between the reset button and the ignition, I shut everything off and walked away for a few minutes. Came back and the bike fired right up, but now had the codes P1511 (throttle sensors??); P2101 (TPS); and B1008 (reset button locked). Cleared the codes and rode the bike a little..everything seems fine.

So...what happened. I've never had these codes before. I know the throttle codes may be that connector behind the throttle body...I did some research here and will clean and use dielectric grease..hopefully not see them again. The other code..I'm at a loss..don't know what it means nor what caused it.

Any advice on all these codes would be appreciated. Hope everyone had a pleasant fourth fo July.

Mark

The other code..I'm at a loss..don't know what it means nor what caused it.

It will probably be fine, but if you wanted to check it out, see attachment. Disconnect 39A from 39B. Take your ohm meter and place it in the 200K ohm range. Measure between pin 8 and 11 of connector 39B. You must read infinity. If you don't replace reset switch. Also inspect switch boot for good sealing.

Attachments

• Reset switch.pdf
    51.9 KB · Views: 19
Also inspect switch boot for good sealing.

You might be onto something, Hoop. The boot has completed deteriorated, the top is gone and I can see the top of the switch .... gonna clean that switch and replace boot see what happens. thanx for the assist.

Had same problem with my 2008 flhtc. My codes were 1511,2135. done a lot of research on this and found TSB TT-418-1. Replaced 7 terminal socket pins on throttle body connector. This is a big problem on these models and the company knows this. I had dealer do this fix so if and when company does do something it will be recorded. I done research on time and labor, and labor was between $40 & $60 dollars. My dealer at biker bobs in michigan charged $224 Dollars labor at 2.5 hrs of work to replace $6.30 for parts. I'v done connector pin replacment myself and took less then an hour. got took on labor big time. hope company has recall. The job is easy and suggest you do it yourself. Called company and they said the dealer can charge by the book and nothing they can do.

Had same problem with my 2008 flhtc. My codes were 1511,2135. done a lot of research on this and found TSB TT-418-1. Replaced 7 terminal socket pins on throttle body connector. This is a big problem on these models and the company knows this. I had dealer do this fix so if and when company does do something it will be recorded. I done research on time and labor, and labor was between $40 & $60 dollars. My dealer at biker bobs in michigan charged $224 Dollars labor at 2.5 hrs of work to replace $6.30 for parts. I'v done connector pin replacment myself and took less then an hour. got took on labor big time. hope company has recall. The job is easy and suggest you do it yourself. Called company and they said the dealer can charge by the book and nothing they can do.

Thanks for the info. Do you have a link to the TSB?
This is the first I've heard about this problem. I have to wonder if it is related to the odometer reset switch. The rubber boot had dry rotted allowing water into the switch. The one and only time I got these codes was the same time my reset switch shorted. Just a thought.

It will probably be fine, but if you wanted to check it out, see attachment. Disconnect 39A from 39B. Take your ohm meter and place it in the 200K ohm range. Measure between pin 8 and 11 of connector 39B. You must read infinity. If you don't replace reset switch. Also inspect switch boot for good sealing.

Hoop, I"ve replaced the boot. It is a $2.14 part and took like one minute to replace. Everything seems to be running fine for the moment. Hope the switch is not damaged. I'm wondering if the Thorrotle body codes are related to this switch issue? Possibly there on the same circuit?

I'm wondering if the Thorrotle body codes are related to this switch issue? Possibly there on the same circuit?

No, they are not related to each other. Check out the TSB that Mcbur1 listed. It is also here under the Self Help section. The P2101 is probably a fretting connector on the throttle-by-wire circuitry. The P1511 means the ECM resorted to limp mode.

Back