free website stats program Threadsize of transmission shafts | Harley Davidson Forums

Threadsize of transmission shafts

Roadking-1960

Hello,

Can anyone tell me , the threadsize of the transmissionshafts . (main and counter )
I think it 's 3/4 inch ,but can't tell UNC / UNF or other .
Anyone ?.

thx.

Roadking-1960 said:
Hello,
Can anyone tell me , the threadsize of the transmission shafts . (main and counter ) I think it 's 3/4 inch ,but can't tell UNC / UNF or other .Anyone ?
thx.

It would help to know the model year and specifically which are the nuts in question. If you are referring to the smaller nuts at the ends of the main shaft and counter shaft, IIRC, those are 3/4-18, not a common size so if thread repair is the issue, finding a die or thread chaser will be a challenge. If thread repair is the issue, a small three corner file will work. The clutch hub nut is LH thread (CW to loosen) but the counter shaft nut is RH thread (CCW to loosen).

If you are referring to the larger trans pulley nut, it is 1-7/8" but I don't know the thread pitch.

Thank you for your extensive reply. Did not think about mentioning the model year !!..
I ride a 2010 Ultra glide , 96ci.
The nut on the countershaft was damaged somehow , so I thought it was a good idea to replace it.
I will look into it ,thanks again !.

Regards Ad

Roadking-1960 said:
Thank you for your extensive reply. Did not think about mentioning the model year !!..I ride a 2010 Ultra glide , 96ci. The nut on the countershaft was damaged somehow , so I thought it was a good idea to replace it. I will look into it ,thanks again !.

Regards Ad

OK, I know the trans pulley nut is not related but just to be clear, the nut for the later models is 2-1/4", not 1-7/8" and early models that large nut is reverse (LH) threaded but on the later models that nut is normal (RH) threaded, which is why I asked for model year.

I assume the counter shaft nut you are looking for is the nut behind the clutch cover plate: the nylock nuts? Best to replace that nut with the OEM piece, PN 7240. I believe these are 3/4"'-18 like the nut on the other end of the maihshaft which is a different nut PN 37496-90A and reverse (left hand) threaded.

Back