free website stats program This is one of the hardest things I've ever done... | Harley Davidson Forums

This is one of the hardest things I've ever done...

CRCKR

Our local dealership is prepared to make me a GREAT deal on a 2018 FLHTP and give me a great price on my trade-in 2012 Superglide that would put me on a brand spankin' new bike for no more money per month...

So what am I doing here and not haulin' butt down to the dealership? My wife had to fly back home to Buffalo because her grandma isn't doing well at all... and the last time she and I talked about trading in the FXDC she said that we need to just keep it and not accept any additional debt for right now.

Yesterday I actually intended to go and make the trade anyway, but when I got out of church I just couldn't do it. (My best friend said "That's why I don't go to church, ya idiot.")

AND I just found out that this dealership offers a Lifetime Drive-train warranty. LIFETIME!!! https://www.buddystubbshd.com/warranty-forever

Sounds like a deal hard to pass up.
I'd be on the phone buttering up the little lady.

P.S. a few hail Mary's wouldn't hurt.:p

Sounds like a lot better deal than a lot of dealerships offer. Just remember, if mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy. She would get over it, especially after you give her that first long ride on the new one. There’s a world of difference in the ride between the two but she will probably never let you forget it.

I'm gonna go against the grain here. You are still making payments on a 6 yr. old Superglide, and the new bike would be the same per month. The shine will be long gone on the 2018 and you will still have yrs. of payments left. Remember what it feels like making monthly's on something you no longer cherish. Wife does not want more long term debt (voice of reason). Take a few deep breaths then discuss it with your partner. That's why I avoid dealerships, puppy love.

Sounds good, however, I would have to take the wife's side a bit as well. If she is dealing with a sick family member, I would expect her stress level to be increased, (I am currently dealing with a situation myself). Add to that, you make the deal and do not include her, between the raw emotions with her grandmother and increased stress, she may feel betrayed somewhat since you went against what you had previously spoke about. So, what I would recommend, (my husband calls me the great enabler) would be to wait until she returns in better spirits. If the two of you ride together often, then discuss it with her again, take her down and show her the difference. If the two of you do not ride together often, (and it is not because she does like the current ride - that maybe she just isn't into it as you are) then she may be a hard sell, and she may be right about taking on any more debt.

With that being said, I found a car/suv I like, and a dealer that offers a lifetime drivetrain warranty as well, plus on top of that, they sell an extended warranty with unlimited mileage. With all the trips I am making back and forth to WV, I have accepted that it may be wiser to take on a monthly payment and not worry about mileage. ;)

I appreciate the words of advice (both sides) and I think that Joyflyin has it correct that my wife would feel betrayed. Combine that with all that she is dealing with right now I think it would cost a lot more shirt term grief than it would bring enjoyment.

The new bike is another police bike...that's what I was riding when I met her and the bike she absolutely fell in love being a passenger on so I KNOW she would love to be on the new one. The Superglide makes her nervous even when she isn't on it because she knows how I like to ride on the switchbacks around Arizona.

All that being said, I've got the dealership putting together solid $#'s for out the door with what I want on the bike. Between a lifetime drivetrain warranty and me being almost 54 years old I think this might be the last new bike I'll ever get...and have a chance to pay off... She is only 29 and really doesn't think about things like that yet (although she might if her grandma doesn't make it out of surgery today).

I'll talk with her later today and run the whole scenario by her. If I decide to buy it, at least I've given her a chance to agree and I've involved her. If I see that it would truly stress her out then it just wouldn't be worth it.

Very good way to approach this.

What part of AZ are you in?

I live in West Sedona, so every weekend we are out at least to Prescott, Skull Valley, North up to Flagstaff and beyond. I love this state for riding. There is hardly any traffic (compared to my home state of FLA) and the mountains are great. I could live without the 120 degree parts like down in Phoenix...

Yup, summer riding is a challenge here, best is fall and winter.
I'm in San Tan Valley S/E of Phoenix.

Back