free website stats program Think'n bout Chromin the swing arm and Calipers | Harley Davidson Forums

Think'n bout Chromin the swing arm and Calipers

I'm on an '07 Deluxe and my personal opinion is that I love the bike and I hate chrome. But the fact that it comes with so much from the factory kinda makes you go the chrome route. I am just now starting to slowly get rid of it. I just don't like the look of all that bling....not my style. either way it'll be a good lookin' bike whether you leave it, chrome it, or like me, start powder coating.

Anyone know the Standard rate of labor to do these items?

SWINGARM REPLACEMENT $$$$$
FRONT and REAR Calipers $$$$$

:small3d031:

The one thing I've learned on this forum is, never EVER ask advice about one or the other or both, because the answer will always be both. :D

Here's what I think about chrome swingarms on softails: they look wrong.
The whole point of the softail frame is to mimic a hardtail frame - when the swingarm is chromed, you end up with a black frame with a shiny (EDITED)- I think it looks really out of place. If I saw a rigid with the back 1/3 of the frame a different color than the rest, it would look funny. This is something to consider.

That being said, it's YOUR bike, so you should do whatever YOU think looks cool, regardless of whether people like me might not like it. If I were you, I would make sure to look at a couple of softails with chrome swingarms (in person) and make sure you love it before going for it, though. good luck!

Please read...
[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Last edited by a moderator:
more chrome the better. I talked to my boy about puttin a wide tire kit on my duece and he's askin for my crome swing arm for his fat boy. They look great and it gives it a custom look. Im doing my calipers this summer. If you like chrome, chrome on bro!

Just a word about chroming...not only done for looks, but some guys opt for it because it is a low maintenance finish, more resistant to harsh environments surface damage than paint. Sometimes low lying bits and swing arms get hit by mud and rocks can easily damage paint...also if paint or preparation is not done exactly right, chips, cracks or peeling allows hidden corrosion or rust. Ask Hobbit about what happened to his new 09 Street Bob frame if the paint gets compromised or had factory defective paint application especially near welded joints. These areas are particular difficult to do right. A through surface prep, with electrically charged powder coat coverage will provide much more durable finish than plain auto body paint booth applied spray paint. :33:

Back