free website stats program Thinking of a Road King | Harley Davidson Forums

Thinking of a Road King

Drew

I know this song has been sung before, but here goes. I started riding this season after taking the MSF course at the end of last season. I bought a 2008 xl883c, which has been great, but I'm thinking I want a bigger bike (big surprise... huh?). I'm having a blast on the XL, and the power is just fine, but I am 6'1" 215lbs., and even with the forward controls, which really look like mid controls when I'm sitting on it, I feel a little cramped... not horrible, but evident. and when I caught a reflection of myself riding the other day, it just looked like I overwhelmed the bike a bit. Plus, I just don't feel very secure/confident on the highway on it. some of that has to do with me being a new rider (1,600 miles in about 2.5 months) but I think some of it also has to do with me not being able to find a real comfortable seating position for long straight stretches. Other than that, I feel comfortable riding in pretty much all road/traffic conditions.

So, the bikes I am thinking about (which I will rent before buying) are Fat bob, Superglide Custom, and the RK classic (I like the whitewall tires). I like the RK classic because fully geared up it is a good touring bike, and with the bags and windshield off, it looks pretty lean... kind of best of both worlds. Am I wrong on that?

Any advice on things I should be aware of on any of these bikes under consideration? At this point, I'm primarily doing around town riding, but would like to do some longer trips. I would say I have taken to riding pretty well and have some natural ability along with pretty good size and strength.

thank you much
Drew

PS: I thought I posted this in the "touring" section... my bad. Mods, feel free to move it, as it probably belongs there.

Last edited:
I have a RKC and really like it .. dont think i would run with the bags off they look funny . it have some more room for you im 6'0 about 300# and i can ride it comfortably on long hauls .. also the guys i ride with who have a sportsters say they are scary on the expressway compared to the bigger big .. one rideing buddy has a softtail sportster and electra glide .. he says sporster is a bar hopper and the softail and glide better for long runs .. Glide for him and the wife softail for just him on trips

I have a RKC and really like it .. dont think i would run with the bags off they look funny . it have some more room for you im 6'0 about 300# and i can ride it comfortably on long hauls .. also the guys i ride with who have a sportsters say they are scary on the expressway compared to the bigger big .. one rideing buddy has a softtail sportster and electra glide .. he says sporster is a bar hopper and the softail and glide better for long runs .. Glide for him and the wife softail for just him on trips

Out of curiosity, what model Soft Tail does your friend ride?

Well you can do some really cool stuff with the Road King....kinda like making it a convertible of sorts....My friends call my road King a Ultra-King..coz I put on a detachable tour pak...a Hoppe Fairing...but within minutes I can remove the Tour Pak and put the sissy bar back on...remove the Fairing takes all of 10 minutes max...and with the windshield back on looks great are even remove the windshield if I wanna eat a few bugs...lol but really the Road King is a extremely versitable machine....got pics on the Touring section...lol I just seem to figure out how to put em here...lol

will agree with fourdogs!! RKC rules ! i do exactly the same things with it: tour pak, windshield, sissy bar, rider backrest...etc...its really very versatile, confy and absolute delight to maneuvre!!
I have one 2003 model, and just ordered the 2009 one! is that evidence enough of my vote for this jewel???
GO FOR IT !!
Cheers
:bigsmiley12:

I went from an 81 lowrider to a 2003 roadking. Love the roadking. The lowrider was great also, but I'm kinda big and with me and the wife on it we were very cramped. I went to the dealership and test road all kinds of bikes and rode some of my buddies, but in the end I am very happy with the RK. Pull the windshield off, the backrest and the passenger seat and it is like you have a totally different bike.

Great pics Fourdogs. I think that is the reason why so many like the RK because of the versatility of the bike.

Back