The sporty hd didn't sell....


New to to the forum so, Hi!

Now, I have a 93' sportster that has been modified in virtually any extent you can imagine, from frame, fairings, rims, speedo, tach, seats, exhaust, tank, and my favorite: an 89c.i. S&S 1460cc engine. 95 HP is the magic number.

I realize it's not your standard sporty but i need to know if any one has similar problems as i have 5 out of 10 times. The first is my battery: I had an odd small battery with only 300 cranking amps, it died on me very badly it caused my electric kick start to implode and the battery almost exploded, it's a drycell type and was hissing at me, so I replaced it with the standard hd battery that is good for engines up to 117c.i., the cranking amps are about 600 on the new battery. Now 2 months later my headlight goes out and when i check it the connecting wires are melted together and the bulb connection itself is melted like it was pulled out of a fire. What i need is an educated opinion on whether it was the battery and too much power or what other underlying problems there could be. Keep in mind I have manual compression release's, dual plugged heads, and a compression ratio of 10.75 to 1.

Thats the only thing I'll list for now, being that it's all minor except this one because i'm kinda stumped and feeling like a marshmellow being held in the fire to long.:30:
First off, this isn't something you can guess at, take voltage measurements at the battery at different RPM's and see what you get. Anything in excess of about 14V would be excessive with some RPM's and would indicate an overcharging issue, probably the regulator.

The larger CCA of the battery will have absolutely no effect on the headlight. That is a separate issue altogether. Most likely it was caused by an oversize bulb if there is one or a bad/loose connection at the light itself all of which causes more resistance and in return more heat at the plug causing a meltdown. Only other thing comes to mind is if some one previous rewired the circuit or replaced wiring with the wrong size for the circuit.

Your starter imploding was probably as a result of a kickback due to your compression of 10.75 to 1. In cases such as the size of your motor, it's always the weakest link that goes first, in this case the starter.