free website stats program The other drain plug | Harley Davidson Forums

The other drain plug

diiulio

2000 springer softail. I was changing my oil and wasn't thinking and drained whatever oil was in the front of the bottom end. I was on the right side and instead of the opening up the back drain plug on the right side I opened up the one on the front on the right side. Just a little came out. What is this for? This isn't the primary case on the left side. I changed the oil after figuring out that I did the wrong one.

I looked through my book, but couldn't find it. What is this drain plug to?

2000 springer softail. I was changing my oil and wasn't thinking and drained whatever oil was in the front of the bottom end. I was on the right side and instead of the opening up the back drain plug on the right side I opened up the one on the front on the right side. Just a little came out. What is this for? This isn't the primary case on the left side. I changed the oil after figuring out that I did the wrong one.

Inspection hole under the Crank... Remember these HD's are Dry Sump. to determine IF you are sumping.. Only a few onces com'n out your are fine... CAREFUL with tightening,
DON'T ram it way in a slight tightness and not further than it was when you took it out.
IF you strip or crack the engine housing BAD......

I use a little white plumbers tape/sealer on it... You can read other post today on the same subject.

signed....BUBBIE

Now would be good time to add oil temp gauge, if you wanted this option...this is the hole your oil temp sensor threads into...

Now would be good time to add oil temp gauge, if you wanted this option...this is the hole your oil temp sensor threads into...

This is on a soft tail. It doesn't have the oil pan for the temp sensor. Maybe you miss read it Iceman, or I did.
tourbox

BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WITH THE PIPE PLUG ON THE BOTTOM OF THE ENGINE CASE!!

As Bubbie said above, lots of bad stuff can happen fooling with that. The hole in the bottom of the case is used for manufacturing the case, and is not intended to be removed and reinstalled on any regular basis.

Check this out:

Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Thats also the Scavenger supply line as well....It flushes the sump with fresh oil during an oil change:
1344014873.jpg

1344014875.jpg

Back