free website stats program The Davidson Cottage - a piece of history | Harley Davidson Forums

The Davidson Cottage - a piece of history

David

Just in case this is of interest to anyone, having just returned home from the Thunder in the Glens HOG Rally in Aviemore, I have just heard tale of some folks who are involved in the renovation of the Davidson family cottage at Aberlemno - Scotland, this being the cottage the young Davidson's lived in before heading off to the shores of America. I never got to visit this time as I only heard about this when I got home. I think this could be real interesting to see how the renovation progresses.

Check out the site below, although I don't believe the web site is fully up and running yet.

The Davidson Legacy| Netherton Cottage, Aberlemno, Angus, Scotland

I have a book around here written by Jean Davidson who I think was the daughter of Gordon Davidson (son of one of the founders) and I'm thinking she is a cousin to Willie G. In her book she has a lot of Davidson Genealogy with images. Hence it mentions the families connection to Scotland before coming to USA.

I need to dig that out and see what it says about Scotland connection.

Thanks.

I have a book around here written by Jean Davidson who I think was the daughter of Gordon Davidson (son of one of the founders) and I'm thinking she is a cousin to Willie G. In her book she has a lot of Davidson Genealogy with images. Hence it mentions the families connection to Scotland before coming to USA.

I need to dig that out and see what it says about Scotland connection.

Thanks.

Nice one Randall, would be interested to learn what you find out?:)

Hello David, FYI the book I am referring to is titled:
Jean Davidson's HARLEY-DAVIDSON Family Album
(100 Years of the World's Greatest Motorcycle in Rare Photos)

This book is copyrighted 2003 and printed by Voyageur Press (128 pages)

In looking closer it seems Jean's ancestor (great-great-Grandfather) immigrated from Scotland in 1858. It does not give the name of the town in Scotland that he hailed from. Jean is the grandaughter of Walter Davidson one of the three original brothers of the Motor Company.

For the images alone this is a nifty book. I recommend it.

One last thing, there is an image in the book that says:

Emblem of the Davidson clan and tartan from the family home in Scotland:

On this emblem besides the colorful head of a deer is script that reads:
SAPIENTER . SI . SINCERE

Are there a lot of Harley Davidson Dealers in Scotland?

Randall,

Scotland is a fairly small country, population just under 6M, most live in and around the 5 major Cities being Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee & Perth.
Only 2 Authorised Harley Dealers in Scotland, 1 in Glasgow & 1 in Edinburgh the Edinburgh one probably enjoying the larger support and HOG membership.

The Edinburgh Chapter is known as the Dunedin Chapter and Thunder In The Glens is their annual rally which was last weekend with an official attendance registration of 2700 people which makes it the largest HOG Chapter rally in the UK.
SAPIENTER . SI . SINCERE translates as "Wisley if Sincerely" there is a little more info on this link, Scottish HD (3rd post down) which is run by one of the Edinburgh guys. and you will find more about what we get up to in Scotland. Take care & ride safe, David :)

Hey Thanks David. Very happy to join the forum when it's up and I would really like to visit there some day. This will be a great destination spot. I think this is going to be a very popular site. Makes me think of the Mohave Phone Booth. People chatting on the forum instead of phoning in.

ride safe

Guys, the (EDIT)forum is up and running, all you need to do is register (no cost) however, I think that the Davidson Legacy is only a web site. I think there is one of the guys who appears on site from time is from US of A. It's a kind of different site from this one, nowhere near the amount of members and not quite the same depth of technical knowledge, but not bad either. Log on and say hello :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back