free website stats program The age-old cam question | Harley Davidson Forums

The age-old cam question

Cowchip500

Account Removed
Which cam, which cam. Other than pipes, my Evo is all stock. I'm tired of getting left on the line, then catching up just to lack in the top end. No bottom, no top = NO Fun.
I'm considering the Andrews EV27 and EV46. I don't have the funds to do what I'd like to run a bigger cam so it's gotta be a bolt-in. This bike (91 Fatboy) is mostly a bar-hopper and I take a couple 100+mile trips a year (2-up).
Ok, lets here what ya'll know. Is the 46 too much? Is the 27 not enough? Is there something better?

Right now, it just has pipes. The reason I'm messing with the cam at all is because I had a lifter fail and they gotta be replaced anyway. I wasn't going to pull the rocker covers, just use bolt-cutters on the push rods and replace with adjustables.
I don't expect much more power but my (felt) power curve is really small. I think the cam would bring the power in sooner and maybe feed the engine a little higher (as advertised with both EV27 & 46).
The eventual plan is to go through the entire engine (in about 50k mi) and make it the way I want. Between now and then; new carb and ignition (hopefully by next summer).
Andrews doesn't advertise the overlap specs on either cam. I'm wondering if anyone is (or has) run one of these and can tell me what they think. Lots of overlap sounds bitchin' but doesn't usually get with it till 2500+ RPM. I need to go no later than 2k.

Do the EV27.If you can afford it deck the heads .060" to bump the compression a little.If your bike is high mileage a new set of stock valve springs is a good idea.An igniton is a good idea too.If you cannot afford one advance the timing a little but be on the lookout for detonation(pinging).The 46 is not a good cam for a heavy bike like your Softail.Better for a dyna or custom bike.BTW if you want to know the overlap of a cam add the intake open degrees to the exhaust close degreees to get the number.

When I had my 93 Heritage I put in the EV-27 cam and a dyna singlefire ignition no headwork, had a high flow air cleaner and straight pipes the thing ran great. Power where you needed it. Easiest and least expensive wakeup mod!:D

The 27 is what I've been leaning toward. Decking the heads & more spark are on my X-mas list. I just don't want to be wishing I'd bought more cam after some mods (like with a EV-13). I've yet to read anything, anywhere that's negative about the 27.
Another question: aluminum or chrome-molly push rods? I'm leaning towards the aluminum since the valve springs have 45k and I don't want any added weight to possibly float valves. Has anyone heard of anyone bending an aluminum push rod in such a mild application?

Aluminum pushrods are 70's tech for iron Sportsters.With the stock ignition it's highly unlikely you'll see enough RPM to float a valve with a 27,or a 46 for that matter.You're not adding much weight with moly pushrods.The stockers aren't exactly light.Aluminum has no fatigue cycle which makes it a lousy choice for pushrods.High performance is not a place to save money.Do the springs or leave it alone.

Back