free website stats program TFI "Situation".. Your input please | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI "Situation".. Your input please

israguard

Hi everyone,

Need your urgent input please. Here is the scoop..

I was riding yesterday to Niagara Falls when during the ride my check engine light came on for a few seconds. I downshifted.. so rpms would go up/down and the light went away. 15 minutes or so later... came back again. This time again for just a few brief seconds and it vanished. At the time I was doing +/- 50 to 60mph. Conditions were cool and windy big time.

Because the following day (today) involved a 6 hour ride back home. I decided not to risk it and I lucked out in finding an HD dealer in Niagara Falls. I rode in at almost 3pm when they close at 4pm. Service Mgr took me right in & asked right away "did you ride in heavy rain ?". Answer is YES YES YES. The day before I was in seriously heavy rain for hours. Bike worked perfectly and no issues whatsoever.

Dealer said they would look at code, erase it. If it didnt come back... chances are it was a water issue and all was ok. If it came back... "I may have a problem". Well, within 15 minutes they came to get me & told me it was the Doebeck TFI unit that was causing the problem. How did they know this I asked... and he said that the code keeps on coming back after its erased. However, the second the TFI is disconnected and connections are made like it was prior to TFI... all is perfect with no codes.

The mechanic didnt frown upon the TFI nor criticize it. However, he did say "I have seen enough of these types of units malfunction & cause problems over the years". The service Mgr who knew he wasnt gonna get the job anyway... strongly suggested that I either forget an aftermarket TFI Unit and go with a download or get the HD Super Tuner. Yes, he was well aware the HD Supertuner was approx double the price.. BUT !!! in his opinion HD gizzmos work best with HD bikes. I soon left dealership with a small bill for 30 minutes labour. I am beyond grateful that they took me in etc. Dealer said I could 100% ride home and make the necessary changes I decided upon when I get home. Well, I rode since 08:30 this a.m. for 6.5 hours at 60-70mph with no problems. Power wasn't there like it was with the TFI..

Next Monday I am off to Laconia bike week & so my question is what do I do ?. I dont want to ride bike without a tuner. I can tell its asking for more fuel and not getting it. Also, this week weather in Montreal will be lousy and I just dont have the time to plug the same TFI back and see if problem reappears. Do I just bite the bullet and have dealer install the Super Tuner and get a perfectly running bike ?

PLEASE !!! bear in mind that I am in Montreal. To get another TFI is a trip accross the border again to the States and I dont have the time this week.

I liked the Doebeck unit & in no way slamming it. I have another Doebeck on my Sporster. Just not sure what to do in this case

Also, I forgot to mention. I totally forgot to ask what the code was. I frankly was sweating bullets being so far from home and it slipped my mine entirely.

Bike is a 2010 FLHX with 10000 KMS on it. Stage 1 only on it.

I value your thoughts.

Rgds, Shawn

If the TFI were to fail it defaults back to the bikes's stock settings so disconnecting it really was not necessary if in fact it is the unit. You might of got some moisture in the injector connectors under the gas tank but I would call Dobeck and talk to Chris. He would be the one you would want to talk to. Toll free 877-764-3337.

Israguard, did the service invoice not show the error code that came up? (they should have put that detail on your work order). It wasn't by any chance Clare's Harley Davidson in Niagara-on-the-Lake, was it?

Hi Bobalu,
Yes, it was Claire's HD. I will look for the invoice now and see if there is a code on it.
WAP.gif

Got the invoice in my hands.. It says:

Concern: traveler went through rain and engine code came up please check over
Cause: After market fuel management system was the problem
Correction: disconnected fuel management system. Customer should get a super tuner installed instead.

-----
That's all there is. I messed up by not getting the code
WAP.gif

Got the invoice in my hands.. It says:

Concern: traveler went through rain and engine code came up please check over
Cause: After market fuel management system was the problem
Correction: disconnected fuel management system. Customer should get a super tuner installed instead.

-----
That's all there is. I messed up by not getting the code
WAP.gif

No, they messed up by not putting that information on your invoice. Clare's, :25:

Next Monday, as in June 11th? ( Sorry, I'm not up to date on gatherings )

1) If that's the case reconnect TFI and get the code to come back up. You may have to go for a little ride.
2) If you have too, call in sick and skip work for a day. Tell your Boss you are having trouble with your eyes and just can't see coming into work.
3) In the "Self Help" section of this forum you will find how to read codes yourself. Jot down any/all codes THEN call Dobeck with the code(s) handy.
4) Let us know what happens and what the solution was/is!

Last edited:
If it does turn out to be the TFI contact Dobeck.
They are a great company to deal with.
I am sure they will courier you another unit.

If the codes don't come back with the TFI disconnected, my guess the codes were something benign like P0134, P0154, P0131 or P0151 because the O2 sensor inputs to the ECM were not deadheaded with fixed resistors.
Since you have a late model bike stacked with a Stage 1 your probably super lean right now. I wouldn't dilly-dally with a fix. Who originally installed the TFI. I am no expert on those units but do you know if the O2 sensors were disconnected and deadheaded with resistors.

Back