free website stats program TFI Installation Questions | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI Installation Questions

hogwild

I just recieved the Dobeck TFI unit this week and I have two questions. I read in one of the posts that it makes a difference which connector goes to the front injector if this is correct which is the correct connector, also and this question may sound stupid how do you unlock the connector from the injector? I couldn't find the anything in the service manual.

there's a red wire that comes from the box, that one goes to the front injector, and I believe that you have to push the injector clip in then release the clip, it's been a while but I think that is the answer.

Hogwild; In the back of the HD service manual, in the appendeces, section B, is all of the different type connectors and how to disconnect/reconnect them. Let me know if your book doesn't have it, and I'll do a step by step for you.

Press in the bail on the plug. If you look at the plugs on the TFI it will show you how they work.

You should see the injector wires as follows...
FRONT injector ...yellow/green stripe and white/yellow stripe.
REAR injector ...yellow/green stripe and green/grey stripe.

Press in the bail on the plug. If you look at the plugs on the TFI it will show you how they work.

You should see the injector wires as follows...
FRONT injector ...yellow/green stripe and white/yellow stripe.
REAR injector ...yellow/green stripe and green/grey stripe.
The instructions for the Dobeck TFI unit for my 09 said on # 5. Disconnect factory injector connectors from fuel injectors and replace with TFI injector connectors from TFI unit, "it does not matter which order they are hooked up".
Does this mean there IS a difference or is that specific to a different year bike?
My bike runs fine.

Thanks for the help everyone, I got home from work this moring at 1:30 A.M. grabbed a flashlight and went out to my bike and the connectors came right off.

The instructions for the Dobeck TFI unit for my 09 said on # 5. Disconnect factory injector connectors from fuel injectors and replace with TFI injector connectors from TFI unit, "it does not matter which order they are hooked up".
Does this mean there IS a difference or is that specific to a different year bike?
My bike runs fine.

I do not think it matters which Dobeck injector wire pair you connect to which injector wires, but it does matter which HD OEM wire connects (through the TFI) to the front and rear. The color scheme that Glider provided above is specifying which set of wires goes to the front injector, and which goes to the back injector. That should remain the same. Just put the Dobeck connectors in series with the current setup. This is easy to do if you do them one at a time!!

TQ

The TFI instructions say it doesnt matter which goes where,but if you have one of the TFI units where the one plug has a red wire or red trace use it on the front cylinder.I have installed six of them since my own and if you put that one on the rear cylinder it doesnt seem to adjust proper and the rear cylinder runs rich.

The TFI instructions say it doesnt matter which goes where,but if you have one of the TFI units where the one plug has a red wire or red trace use it on the front cylinder.I have installed six of them since my own and if you put that one on the rear cylinder it doesnt seem to adjust proper and the rear cylinder runs rich.

I concur with these findings because I installed mine backwards and then read a post concerning this and switched them and it did make a diff. It ran smoother in the corect configuration.

Back