free website stats program TFI installation problem | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI installation problem

Dferr

I just installed my new TFI on my 2006 Steet Glide. The instructions say that when I turn my ignition on, that I should see a steady green light and a blinking yellow light or something like that but I get no lights at all and my bike won't start. After disconnnecting the TFI and installing the original injectors, my bike started right up. Am I missing something?!

First check would be to see if you had the TFI power & ground connected tight...?? Seems like you weren't getting any power to the tuner.

When you turned your ignition switch on, did all the other lights and functions on your bike work normally? So it's ONLY the TFI that wasn't getting power and illuminating the proper lights? I would also suspect a simple wiring or grounding error.

Yes all the other lights on the bike seem to work normally. Although the bike would not start. By the way, the TFI has four plugs on the harness. I only need to use two of them correct? Looking at the diagram it looks like all for plugs are used. If so, I don't know where they go.

Which model does it say it is on the face of the unit?
What model number is on the instructions?
Do they match?

TFI gets power from the high side lines to the injectos, and ground from the ground lead. Two TFI leads plug into the injector wires, that you disconnected from the injectors. This feeds the injector power and drive signals to the TFI. Two other leads go to the injectors, to drive them. The TFI passes the ECU's injector drive right through to the injectors, and also pulls the injector drive lines for a bit more time, after the ECU lets go. Beautiful design. Simple from the outside (operator/installer view), not so much on the inside (sophisticated load determination algorithms).

If no lights at all, I'd say that either you have not connected your TFI ground, or you have not connected your stock injector leads into the TFI.

Just a guess...

Enjoy,
Rich P

Yes all the other lights on the bike seem to work normally. Although the bike would not start. By the way, the TFI has four plugs on the harness. I only need to use two of them correct? Looking at the diagram it looks like all for plugs are used. If so, I don't know where they go.

No. Look at the instructions again. The TFI in installed IN-SERIES with the ECU and injectors. The current injector connectors plug into the TFI plugs that fit them, and then the TFI injector connectors plug on to the injectors. You did not have the TFI correctly installed if you had only used one of the TFI connectors to each injector. There was no connection to the ECU.

TQ

Back