free website stats program TFI for '03 Ultra? | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI for '03 Ultra?

propflux01

I have a few questions about the TFI. I have been reading up on this, and trying to figure what to do here. Mine is an '03 Ultra that I picked up used with 34K. It has 40K now. I am relatively new to HD's, and last year I opened up the Cam chest cover after reading horror stories on Cam chain tensioners. I found a gear drive setup on it, but have no idea what cams are in it, as there are No markings on them of any kind that I can find. That said, the bike is an 88 incher, and the first long trip I took on her posted 36MPG, then 40 MPG, and last tank got 44MPG. Speed was all interstate, at 78 MPG, cruise on. The bike is equipped with stock air cleaner and true (fulsac) duals with Carriage works Slips on it. Since I don't know the cams, and Don't know if there has ever been any kind of download, would the TFI still do any good on this bike? And if so, is it reliable, as in When I take a trip from Central Arkansastan to Washington state, will I have to worry it will fry out and leave me in the middle of Nowhereland, WY? Any suggestions?

I agree with Steve07

If you have gear drive, I would bet the cams are a little Better than the stock ones..

You are MISSING the advantage of the AIR and the TFI... You'll be really surprised how much Better it would run with both of them added...

The TFI's are almost Bullet-proof... The almost happens very seldom and IF it did go South, Just disconnecting it (ground wire) and it goes right to the stock HD setup and will get you anyplace you need to go.. Just running HD lean..

I wouldn't be with out MY TFI... I have had No problems and Really Have the SOUP.. I added SE 255 cams After my Full TFI+ stage one Air and Exhaust, the cams really made a difference..

I would bet Your cams will be of the SOUP kind... any way to contact the old owner to find out? I can't see anybody putting Stock gear drives in..

Does the bike have power on the Low end or does it have to wind out a bit to have more Snuff?

You'll feel the Low end cam as it comes on early and doesn't take High revving to feel it.

It might be a 21 for the low torque or a 26 for a Little higher torque OR something else all together... than stock...

The stock intake closes at 34* and the 21 at 30* for more torque

Seems we posted before about your find?? did we??

The TFI would be a great choice... This is the route I'd take..

signed....BUBBIE

"would the TFI still do any good on this bike?"
Depends on what you are looking to do and expected results. Our TFI will help your engine run cooler and gain a little more horsepower. If you like the best gas mileage then you could leave the first zone, Green, off and only add some extra fuel on the top end.

"is it reliable..."
As Bubbie mentioned for both our TFI and GEN 3 EJK controllers you can simply disconnect the ground wire and your system would run back on the stock map. Unless a wire is physical broken, we're not going to strand you on the side of the road.

I agree with Steve07

If you have gear drive, I would bet the cams are a little Better than the stock ones..

You are MISSING the advantage of the AIR and the TFI... You'll be really surprised how much Better it would run with both of them added...

The TFI's are almost Bullet-proof... The almost happens very seldom and IF it did go South, Just disconnecting it (ground wire) and it goes right to the stock HD setup and will get you anyplace you need to go.. Just running HD lean..

The air cleaner on there now has the oval anniversary cover, and it does not go all the way around the filter per se, If you look behind the cover (from the engine side) you can see the filter element clearly. What difference would "stage one" air cleaner make that would beat the airflow this "semi-exposed" filter (I really don't know)? What would be a good choice that wouldn't get soaked during a rainstorm (all weather rider)?
That ground wire disconnect idea returning to stock sounds like a great deal then.

I wouldn't be with out MY TFI... I have had No problems and Really Have the SOUP.. I added SE 255 cams After my Full TFI+ stage one Air and Exhaust, the cams really made a difference..

I would bet Your cams will be of the SOUP kind... any way to contact the old owner to find out? I can't see anybody putting Stock gear drives in..

Does the bike have power on the Low end or does it have to wind out a bit to have more Snuff?

You'll feel the Low end cam as it comes on early and doesn't take High revving to feel it.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the "SOUP"? No way to contact. Apparently he did some kinda dirty deal with the dealership and wont return calls or emails concerning the bike, I guess fearing that I might get his contact info to the dealer or something. Torque comes on about 1800 to about 3000 where it pretty much peters out. Passing cars on two lane roads is not impressive at all.

It might be a 21 for the low torque or a 26 for a Little higher torque OR something else all together... than stock...

The stock intake closes at 34* and the 21 at 30* for more torque

Seems we posted before about your find?? did we??

The TFI would be a great choice... This is the route I'd take..

signed....BUBBIE

I have had questions in the past, yes. Sounds like this might be the ticket I'm looking for...

The air cleaner on there now has the oval anniversary cover, and it does not go all the way around the filter per se, If you look behind the cover (from the engine side) you can see the filter element clearly. What difference would "stage one" air cleaner make that would beat the airflow this "semi-exposed" filter (I really don't know)? What would be a good choice that wouldn't get soaked during a rainstorm (all weather rider)?
That ground wire disconnect idea returning to stock sounds like a great deal then.

You MUST have the BETTER flowing air Air already(stage one Air)... The way you described above tell me there is a different backing plate on the bike SO That is another Bonus..

Sounds like you HAVE a full stage one..

The SE air I put on my is JUST like you describe..

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the "SOUP"? No way to contact. Apparently he did some kinda dirty deal with the dealership and wont return calls or emails concerning the bike, I guess fearing that I might get his contact info to the dealer or something. Torque comes on about 1800 to about 3000 where it pretty much peters out. Passing cars on two lane roads is not impressive at all.
SOUP=POWER, Slang for get up and go...

Now HOW do we check to see IF you have a FUELER of some kind on there NOW????????

You Might be alright... SOUND BETTER each time we Chat..

??? Does it POP when you leave OFF the throttle ,,, Like shift to 3 from 4th gear and allow Compression to slow you down,,,,TOTALLY OFF the throttle..

Do you get Popping?

IF so It may Not have a Fueler on the bike..

MY GUESS is that the bike IS SET-UP already ,,,because EACH time we text it seems I find another part of the PARTS NEEDED.....

IF NO popping I suspect you MAY have a fueler of some kind on that bike already....

If I were looking I would be able to fine it.. BUT I'm here and you are THERE?

How friendly are you with the HD shop that sold it to you?

I'd be asking them to look and SEE IF you have "A" ?? fueler.. AT NO CHARGE Though.... Don't pay them to look... YOU bought it there SO maybe ask the salesman to get the answer for you.

This bike with all the modifications you say and WE Are Finding ,, Kinda gives me the belief that it is all set up. You need to tell me about the popping (lean) FIRST then we can go from there..

Not selling Dobecks short BUT You MIGHT NOT need their FINE product IF one Of some sort is already there AND working..

Long winded and a MESS i know,,, a lot of talk from me but this is what it is..
PHhhheeeew

signed....BUBBIE

IF we Keep our answer/questions SHORt from here-on as this is SUPPOSED to be Dobecks Question and Answer Thread,,, Or go to PM's BUT then the others can't listen in and read.. Short will probably work here unless we are asked to go elsewhere.. signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie brings up an excellent point. Please confine the chat to the main forum, this area is for questions on the TFI only and not for general discussion or chatting back and forth.

Thanks

Back