free website stats program TFI and Vance & Hines Pipes | Harley Davidson Forums

TFI and Vance & Hines Pipes

Camsta

Hi y'all

I have a buddy who has fitted a set of V&H ShortShots to his '08 Nightster without spending the 'required' mega $$$ on a Power Commander and Stage I airfilter.

He says he's had no problems with the way the bike runs.

I'm keen as to bolt a set of ShortShots to my Nightster - largly because the stock exhuasts sound so .. well ... phaff phaff !!

I've been told repeatedly that the HD twins will run too lean without adding TFI.

Can anyone shed some light on whether TFI (and/or the high flow air filter) is an essential part of this mod ?

Thanks

Cam

Thank you, you've answered so many of my questions. I have an 08 FatBob and I'm now convinced to go the full stage one with the TFI. I have read here that I can install slip-ons and the bike will run fine. Well, I think if I want the bike to last, I'll do it the right way not half (EDIT).

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate the help and knowledge. I'm glad I have a place to go and get honest answers. You, Glider and Hobbit have made me want to do the work myself. I'm a little leary of installing the TFI thou. Do you know of a step by step instruction on line that I would benefit from. I've seen a couple, but Im still not comfortable with it.

I appreciate the help and knowledge. I'm glad I have a place to go and get honest answers. You, Glider and Hobbit have made me want to do the work myself. I'm a little leary of installing the TFI thou. Do you know of a step by step instruction on line that I would benefit from. I've seen a couple, but Im still not comfortable with it.

Believe me, it's a simple thing to do. You will be surprised if you do it yourself at just how easy it is to install. If you run into something that you aren't sure of, just ask here for an answer.

Always check the self help forum , it has all the answers to most questions asked here.

Here's a video of the installation.

TFI Installation On 05 Bike (Video) - Harley Davidson Community

Awesome guys !! I'm really beginning to get my head around this pipe/air/fueler thing ... me thinks ?! Thanks again for your valuable input.

OK - given my stock Nightster is definitely gonna need some attention in the exhaust note department <read: V&H shorties!> ... and the TFI sounds like a great product if I'm gonna keep engine temp (AND tuning costs) down ...

I'm aware the V&H Shorties are essentially drag pipes for the street, so I am mildly concerned about low rpm performance.

How can I minimise torque loss with these pipes ?

Also :

1. Can anybody suggest a good <read: cost effective> breather ?? I'm leaning toward the SE Stage 1 AC Kit - but am aware of many others out there that are equally as good. I'm not looking for massive hp/torque gains, but would like the bike to perform well and pull strongly within normal (street) riding rpm ranges.

2. What model (part no.) TFI would suit this particular pipe/ac combo ? Does the FI-1251ST TFI Fuel Injection Module for 2007 Sportster sound like the go ?? I'm hoping Techlusion can supply an 'out of the box' unit that is close enough and requires only minor tweaking once installed.

Cheers ... and thanks again :57:

Cam

But wait;there's more! If you should go to the Techclusion website and click on INSTRUCTIONS (second from the top) and then click on the appropriate TFI part number for your bike;this will take you to the fitting instructions for THAT part number TFI FOR YOUR MODEL OF BIKE.You can find out what's the correct one for your bike by calling or e-mailing;or by checking their website.

You'll find their instructions are pretty complete and include base settings and how-to's.

Mate,if you can ride a bike and use a computer to get this far,you should be sweet!

the SE breather is a good piece of kit and is reasonably priced I have had it installed on all but my dyna which has had the SE heavy breather. I would say buy the Short shot and quiet baffle as theremive the harsh ness and add some much needed back pressure, the TFI is not difficult to tune and if you call George at techlusion he will give some base settings
Thx again Hobbit

BTW - Down my neck of the woods ... (NZD)

Pipes V47219 $ 863.77 (dealer) $ 678.00 (ebay)
SE AC 29782-07 $ 284.28 (dealer) $ 250.00 (ebay)
TFI FI-1251ST $ 508.00 (eBay)

... out goes the home gym ! ; )

Hello Smitty 901

!st Let me say how much I appreciate guys yourself and Glider I am new to the forum and am impressed with the knoweldge out here Without sounding foolish i need to clarify what I think you are say regarding the TFI I recently purchased a 09 UC and want to install the TFI and Stage 1 kit ASAP.Not trying to beat a dead horse but am I understanding your quote stateing that I do not need to "Flash the Stage 1 and just install the TFI?

Thank you
BuffaloBill

Hello Smitty 901

Not trying to beat a dead horse but am I understanding your quote stating that I do not need to "Flash the Stage 1 and just install the TFI?

Thank you
BuffaloBill

That's correct, no stage 1 needed. The only thing the stage 1 will give you is a higher rev limit which isn't a good thing for these engines.

Back