free website stats program Testing flasher- Sporty | Harley Davidson Forums

Testing flasher- Sporty

bubbu

My turn signals are self canceling, hold it in it flashes,let off and it goes out. When I operate the signals, they stay on and wont flash. Took flasher out and tested continuity, which I got. Question is are they normally closed or am I in need of a new flasher unit? I have a 1987 1100 Sporty.

The way you describe it yours is not self cancelling. Looking at the parts diagram you have a 2 prong mechanical or electronic flasher. To make them,turn signals, work you must hold the button in, when released the turn signal shuts off. Just like you stated.
Self cancelling units mean you push and release the the button,left or right, the turn signals blink. They turn off by means of a Turn Signal Module(tsm) which is controlled by the speedo. It has a reed switch which is timed by your speed. The faster you are going the longer the turn signal will blink. Different animal then a flasher.
If both the front & rear blinker are staying on,without blinking, while the button is pushed and held in then I would suspect a bad flasher unit.
to answer your ? about normally closed I believe the answer is closed. when you hold the turn button in it takes the 12Vd from the flasher to the bulbs to illuminate them. But in the flasher is a bi-metal strip that heats up then goes open, cools off re-closes. Hence the blinking.
tourbox

Turn sugnal Flasher Unit Have a look here, check to be sure you have voltage to the flasher first, you should be able yo hold the flasher in your hand and feel it ping if it is working also

Tourbox, you are right they are not self canceling, I have voltage going to flasher but when I put load on it vie turning turn signal on, Bulb lights but no flash and unit isn't making any noise at all when I tried Jack's test when holding it in my hand. I ordered a new unit. Thanks guys.

I usually get mine at a local Auto Parts store. And the electronic type. My old hard Tail uses the 2 prong type. Jack's link was good but it showed the 3 prong type. I didn't read the article so it may have covered the 2 prong also.
tourbox

Back