free website stats program Tension adjuster screw | Harley Davidson Forums

Tension adjuster screw

Mad Greek

I would like to ask the purpose of presence of the tension adjuster screw on the lower switch housing of the right handle bar.
Bike model FXDC 2005.

so that you can tension the throttle to make it tighter it can also be used to lock the throttle in a single position or at a particular revs for dynamic ignition testing

Brian

My '91 has a throttle lock screw. I use it to hold the throttle open to around 1,200-1,500 rpm while the engine warms up. I start the bike with the enricher pulled out, then push that back in as I manually hold the throttle open. Lock that in with the star-headed throttle-lock screw. Once warmed up, I release the throttle stop-screw so the engine speed drops to around 1,000 rpm.

I would caution using the throttle-lock screw to hold the throttle open while operating the bike on the road. With a true cruise control system, there are multiple ways to disengage the cruise. Using the throttle-lock screw will only be released by unlocking the screw. Dangerous IMHO.

TQ

A friend would use it to add tension, keeping the throttle from slamming shut. It would still release the throttle slowly, allowing him to stretch his arm on long trips once in a while without decelerating quickly.

I still consider myself a "noob", I'll use it more later on.
WAP.gif

Practice if you are going to use this, just a bit of tension is all you need so you can roll off the throttle when you need to

I also use it to tighten and hold after i push in the enricher/choke... If you get used to it, works great. Out on the road it is used to Help hold the throttle control and IT Can be tightened JUST enough to hold it open for the long straights.. Even tho HD says not to do it that way..

Also Warning...... Don't UN-Screw it too much.. It does have a "stop" and I have found out to OPEN the star after use with my Thumb while riding about 4 to 8 Max. Stars.. #4 off, puts the throttle touching the stop Just enough for the Next time it is needed.. AND doesn't wear the inside...#8 stars, is where i keep it when Not using at all.

My older bikes have always had the Star Drag on them. I did break one by OVER loosening against the stop so I kept it closer to Neutral position.... On my New bike 09, FLHR throttle by wire, it is not there...

signed....BUBBIE

Several companies make levers that fit on the star so you can just quickly push it on with thumb, and push off with index finger. I have one on my bikes, and use it when I need to flex my hand. I don't recommend it be used as a cheap cruise control, though I have been known to.

Technically it's a throttle lock, not a 'cruise control' as it won't adjust for uphill/downhill situations. I use it on long super slab runs. I just tighten it enough that I don't have to use a lot of wrist pressure, and if I release my hand fully it will still decelerate.

I do find that it's a pain to use easily when wearing heavy gloves.

As Deucedog says, it is a throttle position lock only, and whether you use it to tension the throttle release slightly for wrist relief or quick, easy and cheap throttle lock. Just be careful how you use it...a slow release or "sticky" throttle can get you in trouble in a hurry...!

Back