free website stats program TC88 Cam Chain plastic shoe tensioner | Harley Davidson Forums

TC88 Cam Chain plastic shoe tensioner

Porter

So I know that this is a weak link in my wife's 2002 Dyna Low Rider. I am toying with the idea of replacing this item with a better system this winter, and I am doing the research now to see if I am up to the task and what tools I would need.

I looked at a link form a site in the UK and it showed bolt cutters being used on the push rods. Am I correct in assuing that the "author" cut the push rods to get them out in pieces?

(I have never done any work like this before, but I really want to learn and I think I am willing to accept that it could be a long process and potentially more expensive than if I pay some one to do it. I can't figure out any other way to learn about engines/transmisions etc that will work with my schedule and doesn't involve going to some sort of school)

He used bolt cutters to remove the push rods. The reason is he will install adjustable pushrods. It saves from removing the rocker boxes.

There are a couple of bearing tools and a locking tool that you will need. They cost about $250 bucks. The job can be done in a day if you have no experience. As the other poster said the push rods are cut with bolt cutters, but if you prefer you can remove the rocker boxes and rockers and safe the solid push rods.
kemo

Thanks for the advice, time and the price estimates, Kemo.
1.) Are the tools specific to that model HD?

What I mean is, if I bought the (can't remember what it is called) plate/puller that removed the bearings for a 2002 (or the locking tool) TC88, could I use it to say, remove the bearings on my 2007 TC96?

2.) If I chose to save the push rods for reuse, would your time estimate be 2 days? (I haven't read up on how to remove a rocker box yet, but I will shortly.)

I am not sure if the bearing tools are the same or not. If you save the push rods you will be buying new rocker box gaskets. Screamin Eagle tapered adjustable push rods range in price from $120 to $150 depending on where you buy from.
kemo

bearing tools are not the same the bearing in 88 are 3/4ths and 1" in 96 you can find a guy on ebay that sells the install tools with both arbors .. i made a puller out of a blind hole puller set

Thank you Bud!

Now I have to look up what a "blind hole puller" is...:D:D:D... so many things to learn. so little time! For what it is worth, I think this is going to be a good project.

Harley did that so guys would back off from working on there own Bikes!
99% of the guys upgradeing there cams and or Cam tensioners cut out the Harley junk and go withh a Andrews or equvilent pushrod setup!

But most of them also junked the plastic setupo and went with a more positive gear drive system 0 Failure rate with gears over a 60 yr time period....and as soon as Harley went with the chain setup they had Thousands if not more Customers end up with blown up motors and didnt stand behind the

It is a good project you will also need oil pump alignment tools .. and Harley makes 2 tools nice for doing this i have done ti with and with out the pushrod tube clip removal and installer tool make it makes getting them clips on and off easy .. and the magnetic tool to hold up the lifters so you dont have to remove the lifter housings and such

Here is a blind hole bearing puller.. with some welding i converted it from slap hammer style to threaded rod puller get the job done for wheel bearings on the Hog and also came bearing with the right size pvc Cap and Tube for spacers

Search results for: 'blind hole bearing'

Back