free website stats program tc 88 to 96 rebuild | Harley Davidson Forums

tc 88 to 96 rebuild

oldscoolz

can stock 2007 96cc cylinders and pistons go onto a stock 2002 88cc twin cam? to convert from a tc 88 to a 96, can i essentially just put new jugs, pistons, and heads on? what are the basic components that HAVE to be changed to make this conversion? thanks. i'm just in the planning stage and had the chance to get some 07 tc96 jugs and pistons at a good price. thanks for any help u can give me.

thank u! now THAT is some critical information. back to the drawin board. ;-)
i'll check out some old threads. so i guess it must be it must be connecting rod length or new crankshaft.

They increased the stroke to 4 3/8 " with same bore as 88 to get the 96" You also need stroker pistons so they don't slam into the heads due to the increased stroke. For 88" engines that don't want to change crank out you can bore stock 88 cylinders out and convert to a 95 with new pistons (non stroker). You can also buy a premade 95 "kit" from hd that will give you barrels and pistons and rings and wrist pins and gaskets etc and cams. All really depends on what you want out of it ?

fact is, i'm ok with my current displacement (88). i just thought that if these jugs and pistons off an 07 tc96 could be put on my 02 tc88 it might be a cheap upgrade ($75 for the 07 jugs and pistons) when i do a topend rebuild at some point in the future. i hadn't checked out anything about what's involved a topend rebuild. i was thinkin i'd pull the heads and take em to machine shop. and if i could put new cylinders and pistons on without crackin the crankcase, i'd be willin to do that too. so the thought was, maybe i can just upgrade to a 96 and use my remachined heads during a topend rebuild. i'm findin out that aint happenin. just slowly tryin to figure out what's gonna be needed to to a topend rebuild and whether i can make use of some cheap low mileage parts from an 07 rk. thanks for the info.

As said above , there is nothing wrong with going to a 95" . I could walk away from my friends 96" and I outweigh him by about 100 lbs. Just take it in small steps. Its' easier to digest. Get whatever spare parts you can ready and when you do it the cost will be reasonable.

thanks biglew and calgary. am i gonna haveta get electronic (do something with the EFI or other) if i change the cams and displacement? right now i'm thinkin i'd do the heads and rings but if the jugs and pistons look ok, just leave em be. or, if the jugs and pistons from that 07 96'' rk are in good shape and can be used with my 02 88'' rk, i'd considered replacing mine with those. i'd probably also look at the cams and lifters at the same time i'm doin the top end. i just finished doin the camcase upgrade at 42k miles. ive got adjustable pushrods in it. what do u think about these? if i'm doin a topend, would u put stock nonadjustable pushrods back in it?

thanks biglew and calgary. am i gonna haveta get electronic (do something with the EFI or other) if i change the cams and displacement? right now i'm thinkin i'd do the heads and rings but if the jugs and pistons look ok, just leave em be. or, if the jugs and pistons from that 07 96'' rk are in good shape and can be used with my 02 88'' rk, i'd considered replacing mine with those. i'd probably also look at the cams and lifters at the same time i'm doin the top end. i just finished doin the camcase upgrade at 42k miles. ive got adjustable pushrods in it. what do u think about these? if i'm doin a topend, would u put stock nonadjustable pushrods back in it?

The cylinders ARE the same as you have now in the 88 cu in,,, YES you could use them... The pistons are not the same as they are for the Stroker motor of the 07 and up 96"...

I would Bore the cylinders you have Now and go to 95" and do the head work and a mild cam to give you the best.

Never would I go back to one size fits all pushrods. Use the adjustable ones you have..

signed....BUBBIE

No to putting in stock push rods. If you have gone this far you will maximize your valve adjustment with adjustable push rods

good clear answers bubbie and jack. thanks. i'll stick with the adjustable pushrods, and probably stick with my old pistons and jugs (with new rings) if they look serviceable.

somewhere along the line i heard somebody say that the adjustable pushrods are less dependable than adjustable. no explanation was given but the statement went something like "not IF they go bad, but WHEN they go bad." i assumed it was related to shortening of the rod if the locknut loosens, and i wondered whether this was a common problem. glad to hear it isnt a problem, cuz its a (EDIT)
of alot easier to have the adjustable rods in there for jumpin back in the camcase.

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
The adjustable pushrods are something I would use Regardless IF I changed out the cams or Not..

Just to have a better adjustment of the lifters from the ONE-Size-Fits-All that come on the HD bikes..

If you work on a HD and tear it down, replacing gaskets (different thicknesses can be had) then stick the one size fits all back in, the clearances (Stacked Heights) Might have changed enough so the solid push-rods that came with the bike are not the best to use.. I would always change out to adjustable ones...

Different $$ and different brands but buy the best.. Personally I like the slender tapers from SE HD and use-d them on Many bikes I have owned and worked on for friends.. 140$ area.

I would do the adjustable pushrods for a stock bike IF I owned one that was stock..:D
Just the Fact, I like to Fine Tune the lifter to MY NEEDS.. Quiet on My Bike:D

signed....BUBBIE

Back