free website stats program Tank was fixed but now wont start? | Harley Davidson Forums

Tank was fixed but now wont start?

Sentinel

I sealed a leak in my tank. out it back on. bike turns and turns but wont start. Gas is definitely shooting into the carb. What could it be? I have clean plugs and they are gauged properly. Help pls

I sealed a leak in my tank. out it back on. bike turns and turns but wont start. Gas is definitely shooting into the carb. What could it be? I have clean plugs and they are gauged properly. Help pls
Bike model? Year? Coil firing? Plug wires routed properly? All vacuum hoses to tank?

Bike model? Year? Coil firing? Plug wires routed properly? All vacuum hoses to tank?
1983 sportster xls 1000cc.
S&S Super E carb.
No vacuum hoses only fuel line
Not too moto savvy so how do I check if coil is firing? Plug wires are the same

How do You lose spark by taking fuel tank off? I would retrace My steps of fuel tank removal and reinstallation. What else did You remove and maybe not reconnect?

How do You lose spark by taking fuel tank off? I would retrace My steps of fuel tank removal and reinstallation. What else did You remove and maybe not reconnect?
Right I didn’t lose spark. It turns and turns over and over but just won’t start. Fuel is DEFINITELY going to the carb. Maybe it’s flooded how do I check? I have clean plugs too.

I have clean plugs too.

What does that mean? Did you pull the plugs and check to see if they were wet with gas? are you getting a gassy smell?
If the plugs are dry it's not flooded.
If they are wet with gas dry them and let the bike set for a while and retry starting.

How did you check for spark?

If you want to "bench" test a coil, remove wires, attach a hot 12 volt to the battery (batt, +, etc.) terminal. Then attach a wire to the ignition (ign) terminal and touch ground and remove. Should throw a spark from the high tension lead with each application of 12v and removal. The ground wire basically imitates the function of the ignition points/module. If the high tension lead terminal is gapped a reasonable amount from the engine, there should be a bright white spark. Weak or orange spark indicates (low voltage...or) bad coil output.

Last edited:
What does that mean? Did you pull the plugs and check to see if they were wet with gas? are you getting a gassy smell?
If the plugs are dry it's not flooded.
If they are wet with gas dry them and let the bike set for a while and retry starting.

How did you check for spark?

If you want to "bench" test a coil, remove wires, attach a hot 12 volt to the battery (batt, +, etc.) terminal. Then attach a wire to the ignition (ign) terminal and touch ground and remove. Should throw a spark from the high tension lead with each application of 12v and removal. The ground wire basically imitates the function of the ignition points/module. If the high tension lead terminal is gapped a reasonable amount from the engine, there should be a bright white spark. Weak or orange spark indicates (low voltage...or) bad coil output.
The plugs were pulled last week and were black. Can’t recall if wet. I cleaned them with sandpaper and gasoline then put back. I let it sit. Yesterday I opened throttle full and taped it. Letting it dry out someone recommended. I’ll have to test spark when I get home.

My response to you was when you asked how to check if it was flooded. If you think you flooded it that's when you want to pull the plugs and check for wet plugs.

Make sure you have good spark, having good spark and fuel it should run.

Maybe try this and see if you get it to start, open the butterfly and spray some gas into the carb and see if it starts.
if it does and stays running you should be good to go. Don't forget to take the tape off the throttle.

My response to you was when you asked how to check if it was flooded. If you think you flooded it that's when you want to pull the plugs and check for wet plugs.

Make sure you have good spark, having good spark and fuel it should run.

Maybe try this and see if you get it to start, open the butterfly and spray some gas into the carb and see if it starts.
if it does and stays running you should be good to go. Don't forget to take the tape off the throttle.
Copy that. Will try and update you later on. Thanks

Back