free website stats program Tail light/Brake light | Harley Davidson Forums

Tail light/Brake light

Hello

Just changed the rear brake pads on my 06 RK. That said my brake light does not illuminate when the rear pedal is pressed or via the front brake lever. My tail light does work.

Any ideas? Bleed the breaks? Let me say all was a-ok prior to the pad change.

Thanks in advance for any input

If the brake light does not work with both front and rear brakes i would suspect the bulb as it has 2 filaments one for tail light and one for brake light if the brake light filament has blown the brake light will not illuminate but the tail light will
if the bulb is ok then perhaps the wiring that is under the rear fender has been compromised

Brian

Agree w/fin...try swapping bulbs 1st - could be an easy fix (fingers crossed). If everything else is/was working then the little brake element could've let loose in the bulb.

If everything was A OK before the pad change, I would lean towards air in the system and the pressure switch not activating. That said, I'm leary of that being the problem because you mentioned the brake light does not function off the front brake lever as well.

A bulb check would be in order as well as checking the fuse although I believe it the fuse was bad you would not have taillights either.

My riding buddy experienced a similar problem on his softail and after changing bulbs, pressure switch, and circuit board, the problems ended up being the tailight socket assembly. Hope yours is as easy as a new bulb, good luck!!

Ok:

ALL fuses good, not one burnt out
Brake relay "clicking' sound when rear lever/front lever pressed/pulled
Changed out Tail light (I had spares)
Bleeding brakes... check.... I went thru a 12oz. bottle.

Still nothing......

FYI I am using a vacum pump bleeder. Hose on bleeder. Pump to 20. Crack bleeder and allow to tick down to 10. Close bleeder. Remove hose from bleeder to release pressure. Place hose back on bleeder and repeat process.

Still nothing.... over and over.... ughhhhhh

Try gravity bleeding. Fill master leave cap off crack bleeder and let it drip....
Still though does brake light come on applying front brake lever???

Negative dbmg...... brake light does NOT come on when applying front brake.

Could I have somehow not put the new pads in properly which would cause this? I mean I pretty good mechanically etc. so I dont think I messed it up.. but at this point I'm paranoid about anything. I took her for a test ride and the rear pedal seems fine. Not spongy and will lock the rear wheel with sufficient pressure.

If you have a brake light relay and it clicks when you apply the brakes then the brakes are fine the switches are fine the relay is fine the problem is electrical between the relay and the bulb or the relay and the battery
a relay is an electrically operated switch the trigger for the relay is just a small current as in would be used by the brake light switches when a brake light switch operates it will put a small current through the relay which will connect a larger current from the battery to the brake light

Brian

So am I to assume that bleeding the brakes is NOT the problem? And I should now be moving forward to checking all electrical connections etc? Sorry for the need to have it spelled out
WAP.gif

Back