free website stats program Tachometer Trouble | Harley Davidson Forums

Tachometer Trouble

Ishmael

A little over two months ago I installed a combination speedometer/tachometer, a Harley-Davidson plug and play with the mileage set at the factory. It worked perfectly until yesterday. Riding home from work I noticed the tach wasn't working, the speedo worked fine. When the ignition is shut off and turned back on the needles flicker for a second, as they have always done, and settle back to zero. Cranking the bike as usual and the speedometer does its thing but the tach remains motionless at zero. This morning I cranked it and the tach worked for an instant then settled back to zero. Recranking made no difference, no motion at all from the tach needle. This afternoon I'll check the connections but beyond that I'm at a loss as to what to do other than take to the dealer and let them have a go at it. Is there anything I can check or do before making the $ stop at the dealer? Thanking you in advance for any advice or comments.

Ishmael

2000 Fatboy, 4700 miles, stage 1, otherwise stock.

PS I wonder if there is any warrenty on parts like the speedo/tach. My usual luck says no and the unit is only two months old.

Last edited:
Ishmael,

Did you install the combo guage, or have it done?

In any case, the combo guage comes with a couple of ways to get the tach signal to the guage. The signal is present in the bikes wiring harness but not supplied to the guage plug. However you get the signal to the guage plug, you need to insert a new pin in the plug. This pin does not slip easily into the plug, yet it must click/latch in the plug. If the pin did not latch in, it can work out, resulting in your problem. Sometimes, in the process of inserting the pin, frustration causes a bit of excess aggression, resulting in the wire pulling out of the pin, or breaking.

You will need the installation instructions for the guage, as well as the wiring diagram for your bike. The guage instructions can be downloaded from the HD site/page for the guage. The tach signal wire is generally pink, but you need to double-check for your bike.

In any case, my vote is for the wire/pin coming out of good contact in the guage plug, at the underside of the guage. Lets hope so. Fairly easy to get at, if so. Those combo guages are pricey.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Hi Rich,
Thanks for the reply. I did the install myself. I had all the instructions and put the new pin in place, recalling that it was kinda tough to fit. Having cranked the bike several times today, the tach now seems to be working fine. I'm thinking you are correct in that the pin has lost good contact. I'll get into it soon and see.
Larry

Be VERY careful and patient. If the wire breaks, leaving the pin in the plug, you will have a wonderful time gettng the pin out of the plug without the specific pin extractor.

Good luck,
Rich P

Back