free website stats program Tach on fxst?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Tach on fxst??

SixPak

Want to put a tach on my 07 FXST. Will any tach work or do I have to get one specifically made for my bike?

I had the same issue last Oct. when I bought my 06 Heritage, I also had a speedo that was in MPH so I opted to change the speedo out for KMH and got one with the tac included in the same unit. Part #74557-04 It was about 600 bucks and took like 10 weeks to get it but all smiles so far, easy to install looks great, havn't started it yet but I have faith.
HD have several to choose from and I dont see why any 12volt tac wouldn't work.

I just installed a tac on my 08. Some of them sell an adapter that you may have to purchase separately for the newer models (single fire ignitions?). I went with the HD; it was "plug & play".

I went with a tac separate from my speedo and mounted it on my handlebar clamp. The only tac compatability issue was ensuring it matched my ignition. I went with the HD; price wise it was just as cheap or cheaper than most and quality wise as good or better than the others I looked at. My only hassle was finding a bracket to go with my both my Nacelle and 1 1/2 inch bars.

My wife recently bought a Dakota Digital Direct Plug and Play Combo for her Street Bob.

Last edited by a moderator:
One additional advantage with HD accessory is to assure that compatibility exists, and diagnostic codes will not be impacted, and if new bike a plug and play installation that it is fully warranted is a very good thing...JMO.

I have an older 2 1/2 inch Equus brand tach that used to be in my pickup. Was thinkin bout putting it on the bike and saving some $$. Would that be a bad decision or should I just spend the money at HD??

Several possibilities, based on your responses, 1) was your pickup a V8, V6, I6, or I4 and does the tach have a strap or switch option to correctly indicate RPM for a VTwin configuration? 2) Do you have a mounting area to accomodate the 2 1/2 Tach with appropriate bracket?, 3) There are some diagnostic modes that may not register, or could kick out codes which you could live with?

Tach was hooked up to a Chevy 350. If memory serves me correctly, the tach is supposed to work on 1 to 12 cylinder engines. And I think it will mount ok on the handlebar beside the riser. As for codes; they wont bother me so long as they don't affect how the bike runs.

Back