free website stats program System not charging need help | Harley Davidson Forums

System not charging need help

Ragtop

Okay, I have been reading and replacing parts and trying to get my ride back to normal and I keep hitting the same problem and thought maybe someone out there has had the same problem and lead me in the direction I need to be going.

I have a 1991 Harley Heritage Softail Classic. For some reason, the system is not charging. I have put in a new battery, new regulator, checked the stator, new ignition switch, new starter, and my bike will not charge. On a fully charged battery I can run about 100 miles and then it will not start, dead. I do not lose my headlights, I do lose my turn signals. I have been from one end of my electrical to the other and I am not finding the problem.

Anyone with any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

In the statement I put in on my first post of the system not charging, I said that I had checked the stator, I have not been in so deep and "looked" at the stator, we just done some checking with a meter and it had good output on it. I am understanding from some reading that it doesn't necessarily mean it is ok. Hoping this is not the problem as I really do not want to have to pull my bike apart and replace the stator, but I will if that is the problem. Still looking for some good information or input on this matter.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because the stator seems OK doesn't mean it is. It may put out enough to look OK but not charge the battery. In some cases when you open it up the problem is appearant when you visualize the magnets and the connections. Remember one strand of wire will power a meter but not charge the battery enough with the draw from the on board systems.

Thank you so much for your reply. This is Ragtop's wife and he said he has already got it up on the stand and ready to tear it apart to pull the stator out. The information from this site is what led us to look in this direction, you all are great. But keep the info coming we love it.

Take a good look at the magnets in the rotor and make sure they aren't loose. No impact tools on it either.Glad to have you here.:D

I'm fryin chicken and he's taking apart his harley! Now if that ain't all american I don't know what is>>>>LOL
He says thank you very much for the info, being a great help.

Thank you all for the help and input. Found it the stator was fried. So get a new one and we should be back on the road. The stator was like fried chicken it was fried. Funny how it will ohm out and not be good, but thats how we learn. Again thanks so much for info.

By the way, to Glider, your article was very helpful. Thanks a bunch. Happy Riding and be safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for the help and input. Found it the stator was fried. So get a new one and we should be back on the road. The stator was like fried chicken it was fried. Funny how it will ohm out and not be good, but thats how we learn. Again thanks so much for info.

By the way, to Glider, your article was very helpful. Thanks a bunch. Happy Riding and be safe.

Not sure why exactly, but experience indicates that the VR will be next to fail in a brief period of time. If the bucks are there, you might want to change that out too so that you are not stranded on the road some where.

TQ

Back