free website stats program Synthetic Oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Synthetic Oil

dhorne

I have a 2001 Ultra classic with 20,000 klm's and I have always used th mobil synthetic and a friend of mine has a 2002 softail with the same amount of KLM's , he noticed one day riding that mine was running a lot cooler I then suggested to run mobil synthetic , my question is , Is it too late for him to switch , he has been running the HD 20-50 , I dont want him to wreck nothing and then point fingers at the oil.......We run in 100 plus tempatures here in venezuela.........thanks

Smitty, just a quick question. Synthetic oils are supposed to reduce friction better than conventional oils. So, if friction produces heat, why wouldn't syn oils reduce heat from an engine?

Thanks for all your advice , I am running in 100 plus most of the time here and syn in my evo cooled i off as much as 20 degrees , it was running around 230 in town and now it is never (rarely)over 210 , as one guy mentioned syn in the primary , i found my clutch to slip with this oil , formula plus seems to work great ,as well as spectro syn in the tranny....hmm good stuff

Lets not forget the pledge to make her look good as well...

Again thanks to all..

We use to use ony Synthetic oil and had the same problem with the clutch slipping. Switched to Formula Plus in the primary and did not have a problem any more.

The numbers are so low you and I could not measure them.
We must be realistic with claims we make on products. SYN oils and lubes are IMO the best way to go for most.
It Just like with the XIED's they reduce heat a very small amount but some how that has grown into claims of 20-35 degrees.
Oil coolers fall into this they do reduce Oil temps but have Little to no effect on heads and reduction is not something you will feel by the seat of your pants. Best research shows maybe 20 degrees for them in best condition.
Reduced temps from the engine come from a mix of things, when they are all added up is when you see some gain in rider comfort.
Proper Stage1
Oil cooler
SYN lubes
And more bad news is if you add all the claims up
20 degress from syn oil
30 from stage 1
50 from oil coolers
That still would not be 100 degree reduction. It just does not work that way in the real world.
I think we all want to believe there is this one magic bullet out there that will make our Big Vtwins run 100 degrees cooler in one shot . It aint out there.
Most of the heat from you emgine comes from burning fuel making HP not from friction.
Put the gun to your bike see were the Heat is
My mechanic buddy tells me that while the old synthetic oils reduced friction, they didn't transfer heat very well and weren't as "stickey" as conventional oils, hence less cooling effect from the old type synthetics. He sez that the new "just for air cooled V-Twin syns" have been designed to transfer the heat better, resist cast off, are stickyer and do a much better job of reducing heat and wear, especially in high temps. He still don't recommend the Harley Syn3 tho, sez it's old technology and Harley needs to change it.

Back