free website stats program Synthetic Oil ate through oil filter | Harley Davidson Forums

Synthetic Oil ate through oil filter

revok1200

Made ya'll look didn't eye.

Replaced the stock bars on my RG two weeks ago and put 12" Ape's on her. When re-routing the clutch cable I forgot to zip tie it back to the frame tube, here is the result.

Cable found its way between the filter and V. Regulator and the vibration wore the paint off the filter housing and cracked the housing. I was on a run from Wilmington to Winston-Salem and noticed an oil leak when I parked in Winston.

Couldn't find the problem checked the oil, level was okay, so I rode her home. About two in the morning on the way home I stop for gas and have oil all over the side of the bike and my leg. Checked level and was still above the add a qt. line, only an hour from home and couldn't see the problem, so I prayed and rode her into the barn. Got up this morning, and found the filter was cracked. Check out pics.

A little oil makes a big mess!:(

Attachments

• cracked filter.jpg
    cracked filter.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 161
  • cracked filter2.jpg
    cracked filter2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 162
The Harley Angels were looking over you. Glad you made it home with no bigger difficulties..

Last edited by a moderator:
True Story, H D had extra long filters for Evos, they worked fine on Sporsters, I tried one on my 92 FLHS it seemed to fit fine but the alternator wires shorted out on the filter, the dealer replaced my alternator because the Big Book did not state the filter would not work on a Big Twin:s

The things we learn the easy way, and the hard. At least the dealer was upstanding and made good on it. Just think, what would we ever have learned about motorcycles if we road hondas.

I'm probably missing something,...but I dont see what a chaffing wire holeing your filter has to do with the type oil you had in there??

Back